Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING concerning Access Used Lasers

What is it about what I said that you don't understand?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

When I was in business I had remodeled 5 drug stores and was on a net 30 with them. I had worked for them for 10 years and they filed chapter 11. I had to make sure my help and suppliers were paid. The suppliers didn't care if I had to take a loan to pay they just wanted paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    The suppliers didn't care if I had to take a loan to pay they just wanted paid.
    This is a little different (morally and legally) where the original poster wasn't a supplier or creditor.
    The company was to sell the equipment FOR him and keep a commission.
    It isn't a matter of paying slow.. the OP isn't a vendor.
    Brokering and consigning are much different than extending credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    Brokering and consigning are much different than extending credit.
    Exactly - I don't know if it's illegal but it surely is unethical to use the revenue from a consignment sale to pay other bills before you pay the consignee. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same thing with your vendors - if you don't have the money to pay them from cash flow then you better take out a loan. I have had three customers give me the excuse that they are waiting on their customer to pay them before they can pay me - needless to say, they are no longer my customers... The worst part is that they didn't disclose this "little detail" until after I called them to find out why they hadn't paid yet - if they had told me up front then I could have made a decision right then as to whether or not I was going to loan them the money, but they didn't give me that option. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I'm not suggesting that Access doesn't owe or shouldn't pay their creditors. And my sympathies are certainly with the injured parties in this case but having once been in a situation where it was necessary to perform a juggling act to keep a business going and put food on the table and where it took me an unusually long time to clear my debt (without declaring bankruptcy) I have some understanding of the thought processes of a small business in trouble.
    I see you have a soft spot for access. What would you have done if this happened to you when you were down on your luck. Juggling monies to keep food on the table. We have a corporate policy, 90 days past due and we send it out for collections. There are exceptions like municipal clients. Put a policy in place and follow it to a fault. Comcast, Verizon, utility companies, Macy's, sears and others know how to handle bad debt, they harass the (blank) out of you until you pay.
    If you don't pay they send it out to collections and you receive a lawyers letter certified mail. Situations like this eat you up. Get serious and collect the debt or find out what's going on.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

I do know the people at Access and I do indeed feel for them. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't meet their obligations.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    I have been watching this thread with interest as at one point I was talking with Rob about selling him my machine. I had hoped he'd clean this up quickly, but it has become obvious that he's too far in the hole to climb back out... certainly not far enough out to interest me in sending my machine his way without a full cash payment ahead of time.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I have been watching this thread with interest as at one point I was talking with Rob about selling him my machine. I had hoped he'd clean this up quickly, but it has become obvious that he's too far in the hole to climb back out... certainly not far enough out to interest me in sending my machine his way without a full cash payment ahead of time.
    I'm sure it would have been expensive to take out a loan to ensure his consignees got paid, I bet that amount is less than the business he will lose from this thread alone...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I'm sure it would have been expensive to take out a loan to ensure his consignees got paid,
    But that's the tricky part. A consignee (Access) never has an ownership stake in the equipment,
    and the money never belongs to them. That is much different than owing a creditor. There, at least
    the money you haven't paid yet is yours. As a consignee, the money is never yours. And keeping
    it could mean felony charges of larceny by conversion, depending on the state you operate in.

I'd like to add my two cents speaking in generic terms since I have no idea of the facts of the OP's claim. Before I was a laser engraver, I was in law enforcement. Specifically I spent much of my career investigating white collar crime. Chuck Stone is 100% correct. Failure to pay back a loan or failure to pay for merchandise provided to you on credit, is not a crime unless fraud was involved. We no longer had debtors prison and bad debts are civil torts and not crimes. However, also as Chuck pointed out, selling something for somebody else on a consignment basis and then failing to simply pass that money along, is a crime. The consignee has no right to that money and no right to use it for anything. That means using it for other purposes is theft. I have worked many similar cases and mostly involving real estate transactions, but the theory is similar. Now whether or not the OP could actually find a law enforcement agency willing to take this case is another story, but that doesn't make it any less a crime.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

Such a pity things had to come to this impasse...before I bought my first laser , I rang up Rob and he sat with me for hours on the phone answering all my inane questions..knowing he would not be selling me a machine....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

It would appear I found this too late.
    I havent been on this forum in a couple years.
    My original experience with Rob and Diane was very good.
    I purchased an epilog from them and everything went smooth.
    But now Im worried.
    I recently purchased a laser from another company that went out of business.
    And Rob told me he would give me $1000.00 for it.
    So I sent it to Rob. (He paid the shipping)
    Problem is.....
    They received the machine May 22nd,
    Diane told me she would have a check sent out to me as soon as she had everything punched into her system. (that was the 23rd)
    Then on June 3rd I sent her an email to get status on the check.
    She told me the check was in the system (Not sure what that means) and she would let me know as soon as it leaves.
    Today I called to get status. No answer....
    And thats when I decided to do a google on Access Business Solutions (To see if anything pops up)
    Sure enough. Sawmill Creek has this thread about them having troubles.
    Now im worried I wont get paid.
    I would have never expected this from Rob and Diane,
    They were so good to me when I bought my laser through them.
    I've recommended so many people to them too.
    David Arana
    SignSations

Epilog mini 18, 25W
    Roland Metaza Impact Engraver
    Roland VS 540 printer/cutter
    Graphtec FC7000-75 Cutter
    DTG Viper garment printer
    Amaya XTS Embroidery

David,

I heard the Rob had started another business and a little searching brought up this information:

Rob Bosworth
    Engravers Connection
    (715) 808-8061
    engraversconnection.com

Hope this helps!

They have a Facebook page for their new business as well, if that's your thing. Might be able to post on there or get comments posted.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    That's the great thing about America. Business failed? No problem! Just use the ill-gotten gains from your first business to fund another!

Until you can pay off all of your debtors, you should not be allowed to start a new business.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5