Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up new shop location but having problems

Setting up new shop location but having problems

I seem to be in a quandary.

We just moved from Maine to Virginia and I have leased some shop space. Most of my woodworking equipment is now at the shop but I have a problem I can’t seem to get my head around.

When we moved my table-saw, we put it up on a piece of plywood with casters attached to it so it would be easy to roll. That worked fine, but now there it sits and I can’t figure out a way to get it off the “dolly”. I don’t know a single soul in this area so I have no one to help. Any ideas on how one person might move this critter onto the floor??

As a side note, I also had to remove my 14 inch Grizzly band-saw from its base in order to fit it in the trailer so I need to lift the saw back onto its base. That is also a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

Rick Hubbard
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

seems to me that it is time to make some new friends.

as for your TS, i am assuming its not that high off the ground on the casters. couldnt you set up some type of temp small cribbing to all you to walk the TS off the casters a bit, then kick away the casters and lower either the front or rear of the TS to the floor. then do the reverse for the cribbing. for your band saw you might be able to do something similar.

if you dont think either of those two options, next solution would be to set up a tackle and pulley system. however, i think numbers one and two might be the best.

I bought one of those shop cranes on sale and it really comes in handy lifting and moving machines. It is a 2 ton capacity and was only $125.00 on sale from an auto parts supply store. You can hoist the machine then roll it into place with the crane.

Shop cranes are readily available for rent. They are usually on an axle and have a trailer hitch so you can get them from the rental place and back again.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I agree it is time "to find some freinds" but that might take airless more time than I have.

The shop crane is a good idea but the one at the rental place was not a towing type. I figured getting it in and out of my truck would have been a bigger chore than the tar saw !! For $125 buying one sounds like a good idea (if I can find one). Otherwise I'll try edging it off I guess

I also just moved.
    For $200 I hired moving men to move 2500 pounds of machinery from my garage (where it was delivered) to my basement. I am guessing it would have cost $25 to have them come back and help me stand up my cyclone, but my wife, son and I managed it. Call around.

Several neighbors told me to let them know if I needed help with anything. I would rather pay $25 than impose on a new neighor, but I expect they would have helped had I asked them. Meet your neighbors.

never rely on anyone but yourself. here's how i raised and lowered a unisaw alone to get it off the rehab movers dolly onto a proper mobile base:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    never rely on anyone but yourself. here's how i raised and lowered a unisaw alone to get it off the rehab movers dolly onto a proper mobile base:
    There you go! Be clever like Joe!

AHA!

Now THAT is a great idea! Now all I need to do is to figure just where my floor jack is stored.

Thanks for the hint.

Rick,

Where are you at in Virginia. There's a pretty large group of us here, somebody must live in your neck of the woods.

Hi Keith

I am in Staunton, about 25 miles from Harrisonburg. And, for the record I LOVE IT HERE!!

Rick

Rick,

Your in luck, Ashton Waters is real close to your location. Ashton is a great guy, no doubt he would be happy to help you so I will send you a PM with his phone number or if you prefer you can send me your number and I will ask Ashton to give you a call.

BTW, Welcome to Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    I admire your ingenuity with the unisaw. That is pretty slick.

But I could not disagree more with your first sentence.
    "It's Not About You."

I try to operate like Joe too, but if all else fails I ask my son for help. If a guy tries, you can usually figure out a way.

Moving and lifting generally gets down to the equipment you have and your level of experience. In year past my Dad and I were able to move and lift some very large stuff based mostly on his experience. We had very little equipment to work with but he was patient and sometimes it took a very long time to lift machines that I never thought possible.

When I was young I worked as a Toolkeeper/Truckdriver for a company that was owned by Newport News Shipbuilding. I was fortunate to work with one of the older Riggers who had a lifetime of experience. Once a man learns to move submarines and larger ships with nothing but hammers and dunnage there isn't much they cannot do. I once watched this guy place rigging on a monster steel drum we built at the coal terminal in Newport News. It was the thrust measuring system for the space shuttle engines. A team of engineers spent 4 hours trying to find a way to move the drum to a barge, in the end the welding supervisor ask my friend if he could rig the drum so they could pick it up, flip it over in mid-air and then set it on the barge. He got the job done using three cranes in less than 30 minutes.

People will amaze you if you just watch and listen.