Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of state order request??? Question

Call me contrary .. but I'm not seeing anything that looks like a scam to me yet.

Scammers don't usually call on the phone because it can be tracked back to them.
    And as for needing a quote in writing? I would too! I want something written down
    somewhere that says what I'll be paying.. especially if I'm just in a position to order
    on behalf of someone else and need to be able to get reimbursed.. I wouldn't expect
    anyone to pay me back based on a verbal .. and don't think anyone else would either.

99.9% of my orders are from 'across the country' and while Paypal has been fine for
    the most part, I can see your hesitation on a larger order because Paypal freezes
    funds first in a dispute, then takes their time sorting everything out. And they tend
    to side with buyers, rather than follow the logic and paper trail.

But a certified check from a bank local to him should be OK.. you can call the bank
    in question and confirm funds. The way banks work now, they don't even wait for
    the physical check (or even keep/return them!) they just process it electronically.

My Business Credit Card got hacked last week... They charged $6.32 from a non existent Motel then Credited it... Then 2 or 3 went for the Big Bucks.... All failed.... Got a call from the Card... Talking to Loss Prevention they say one of the newest scams is the kids going to work with MOM on the Night Time Cleaning Crew. While Mom is scrubbing the toilet, the kids are going through the file cabinets and trash looking for Credit Card Numbers to SELL....

I am telling my suppliers now to take the first number of the card and add that to the last number... Write that number down.... And know to subtract it to use the card... OR better off.. NOT keep it at all...

Smells like a Scam to me....

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 04-22-2013 at 6:59 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

I feel like it is too. I deleted the email and will any more that make it through. I wish folks spent as much time making an honest living as they do tring to stealing from others.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

I had a local distributor take an order from a new customer for 5,000 magnets, pin fasteners, etc. credit card went through, but she had a feeling......... shipped the product and 2 days later she was required to charge the card back.......... she was out the product and the CC % processing fees........
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    I had a local distributor take an order from a new customer for 5,000 magnets, pin fasteners, etc. credit card went through, but she had a feeling......... shipped the product and 2 days later she was required to charge the card back.......... she was out the product and the CC % processing fees........
    That's not exactly how it works. If you do your due diligence and provide evidence that you sent the items, they were received, and the customer got what they ordered the credit card company should have sided with the distributor.

As for this thread, we get requests on a regular enough basis from people outside of the state. Most of the time it's a scam. Sometimes it's just people looking to collect information and get quotes. The other times it's real customers looking for product.

The trick is to treat the customer as a scammer. Make sure you get all approvals via email. Ger paid in full before you send anything out. Take photos of the finished products. Send the packages out where customer signature is required. If you do the following, you should have no real issues. You can even discuss the topic with your credit card processor if you're concerned. There are a few credit card processors that are not very trust worthy (Paypal) so it might take a bit of work to find someone that will actually back you up if and when the time comes.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

It's too bad we have to worry about whether a "customer" is a scammer or not. The way this person asked for the items (with no engraving and large quantity) does sound fishy. Still, I have several good, regular customers that are on the other side of the country. That's why we have websites, to attract people from other places. The scams I have been sent were all similar to this, 100 banners all the same, and questions about form of payment, I think you are wise to forget this one.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yeah I offered to help him find some one close to where he said he was, just see what the response would be and he said no one could get them for him, this was after I call a couple of major suppliers and both said they had plenty of cups close by. It could be like a scam like I heard about a while back. A group over seas is collecting CC numbers and placing orders and having all the orders shipped to one central location in the states. They would rent a place and pay some one to stay there and receive the packages then they would be re-boxed and shipped out of the country. This come from a driver that delivers for one of the major package haulers. He said around Christmas it wasn't uncommon to back up to one of these places and unload 20 or 30 boxes, go back a week later and make a pick up with all of it going out of the country. He said the drivers would blow the whistle on them until the brass told them to stay out of it. Most likely for safety reasons!!!! But it must be BIG business.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    ...There are a few credit card processors that are not very trust worthy (Paypal) ...
    I use PayPal for all of my credit card orders (I only pay the usual PayPal fees). Just make your case like you would any other credit card service. I speak from experience - I've never lost a penny to a bad customer.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I wonder what happens if the card is stolen? Who loses on this? A local grocery chain had a couple million cards
    compromised recently so I am curious. If someone pays with a stolen card and it goes through can the charge
    company charge you back?
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I wonder what happens if the card is stolen? Who loses on this? A local grocery chain had a couple million cards
    compromised recently so I am curious. If someone pays with a stolen card and it goes through can the charge
    company charge you back?
    It's a pretty simple formula... if there is even the slightest chance the CC company will lose money, they'll take it from the person who had the money last.

In other words, if you received payment from a stolen card, they could care less what you did with that money (such as buying material and shipping it out), they will want it back.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Not sure but I think the CC Company is the big looser. I think their only recourse is to try to track down the one that used the card. Back when the CC machines printed the whole number on the receipts somebody got me. They called the CC company and had the mailing address for the statement changed so it went through a billing cycle before I caught it. Someone bought a s#@*t load of clothes with my card, about 4k worth lol. CC company said they were going after the ones that used it but never did find out what happen. I bet they didn't catch them.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Since this thread seems to be getting off topic I'll share my experiences with scams like this. I often get emails requesting large amounts of glass to be cut and shipped with the idea being they will send a check that covers the material and shipping then they will have there shipper come pick up the glass and I write them a check to cover shipping. Then something happens with the shipping on there end and they ask me to send them a check for the shipping so they can pay the shipper up front rather than me paying them. After it is all said and done the original check they sent bounces but they have already cashed the check that is supposed to cover shipping.

I get emails like that nearly every month. I don't bother reading them, just delete them. Although one time I did have a local business ask for a quote on several pieces of frosted glass and I passed on it because I assumed it was a scan. It wasn't until weeks later when the company contacted me about another job that I realized it wasn't a scam.

One time before we heard about this type of scam we sold a van on Craigslist. The "buyer" contacted us wanting to buy the van but for some. He claimed to be away on work so he said he would send us a check. When we got the check (through fedex) it was from some collage on the east cost and was for several hundred dollars more than the price we agreed on. It came with a note saying he was going to be away on work longer than he thought and would have someone come pick up the van and we were to pay that person the shipping charges. At that point we were pretty sure it was a scam, we brought the check to the bank to see if it was a real check. All the bank was able to do was check to see if that collage actually had a bank account but not much more. The bank told us they could cash the check but since we thought it was fishy that there was a good chance it would bounce but that may take a week or two to know for sure.

We ended up calling the collage that the check was from and they said they got calls like that every day for the last two months and that it was a scam.

The bank ended up contacting the police and the police contacted us. They said since this type of thing happens all the time all they would do is take down a report and not do anything with it. They also said scams like this never use the post office. If they do it becomes mail fraud and then the federal government can get involved and there chances of being caught are much higher.

And one last story (this one is third hand so I would assume some of it has been exaggerated). There is a lady who live in the same town I used to live in. She met a man online and after they hit it off he asked if he could have a few Christmas gifts sent to her house and then have her repackage them so they can be shipped to him in south America cheaper than if he had them shipped one at a time. She agreed and a few days later she was getting UPS trucks unloading the entire truck at her place. After a couple days of that she figured out it was a scam and called the cops. It turns out the "man" she met online was a group of people in somewhere out of the country who were using stolen credit card numbers to order items with the plan of storing it at her house then getting a freight shipper to to either ship it out of the country or somewhere else where it could be resold without being tracked. According to the stories in just a mater of two or three days she had every room in her house filled and also had piles of boxes in her yard under tarps.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

It's sad we have to sort through this to do business but it is what it is. I get requests all the time for quotes o rediculously large amounts of items. Like 5000 thumb drives. You can usually spot if it's a scammer or some other unsrupulous individual but you always have that little voice in the back of your head saying "What if it's the real deal?".
    Last edited by Mike Null; 04-23-2013 at 3:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Nix View Post
    Yeah I offered to help him find some one close to where he said he was, just see what the response would be and he said no one could get them for him, this was after I call a couple of major suppliers and both said they had plenty of cups close by.
    yeah.. that definitely sounds fishy now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Nix View Post
    Not sure but I think the CC Company is the big looser. I think their only recourse is to try to track down the one that used the card.
    Nope, the merchant is the loser in this game. Guaranteed. The CC company removes the money from the direct deposit account (the merchant's), the money is returned to the person who's card was stolen, and the merchant also gets the nice cherry on top of still paying the CC processing fee. If the merchant is lucky, they find out it's a scam and return the money themselves before informing the CC company of what's up... if they're not lucky, they have a ding on their record with the processing company for having a stolen card used on their account and all of the above happens anyway. The CC owner is inconvenienced for a few days, but that's about it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5