Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: festool domino thoughts

I have a domino and it's a really great tool. I don't use it all the time, but when I need it, there really is no substitue. If I used it for nothing else other than aligning solid stock for large panel glue-ups, it would still be worth it's price in sanding savings, alone.

Wow! Thank you all for the great advice! I have a great dust collector but it is much to loud and large to be run all the time. I am thinking a trip to the local Rockler may be in my near future! I think the smaller domino is my choice. Now, dust extractor wise, mini?midi? 26? 36?48? Can't see much difference besides size. Am I mistaken? Thanks again for all the great help!

Like others have said I long resisted the thought of going to any Festool product simply due to the cost. However I needed to build a crib for my latest grandchild. I have a pretty complete shop and there were multiple options to join the wood together. It seemed to me that loose tenon seemed to be the easiest and most accurate way to accomplish the goal. After searching for a couple of weeks I found a Domino 500 available on CL with an almost complete set of domino's included. I bought the machine, downloaded the manual, and made some practice cuts. The machine is very accurate and worked well for the project. However, after spending the money for the machine (I still shake my head at what they used cost was @ $725) I was not enamored enough with the Festool name to spring for the hose or vac. I modified some fittings, took an old hose from my CPAP machine and rigged everything up to my 30 year old shopvac. It has been working fine for my purposes.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Casey kerner View Post
    Now, dust extractor wise, mini?midi? 26? 36?48? Can't see much difference besides size. Am I mistaken?
    Casey, I have a CT22 which is a nice mid-sized vacuum. I'd go with the 26 if I were starting out, not too big, not too small. If you pick up a domino take the time to read a couple of the free manuals that are found online, they are good reads and full of great uses for the domino. Then spend some time in the shop with scraps, you will quickly find the many different uses for this tool.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

You definitely want the smaller machine for most furniture or cabinetry type woodworking. The larger machine like someone else said is more for architectural woodworking or very large projects.

Vac--there's valid arguments both ways but if you want to save money watch for a used vac. I've gotten a couple used CT22's in the $200 range in nice shape, one of them with a hose and extra bags. I wouldn't buy a mini or a midi unless you need a really small portable vac for site use as you'll never be able to put a boom arm on it if you ever decided you wanted one (I love mine on the vac that lives next to my bench.)

The Domino is horrible...don't get it. It is an overpriced biscuit cutter with even pricier biscuits.

Well, SOMEONE had to have a dissenting voice here!

(I love my Domino)
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I recently went through the decision process on a Domino and ended up with the XL DF 700 and the CT 36 vacuum. With the addition of a 6mm bit and shim plates from Seneca Woodworking my system has 6/8/10/12/14 mm cutters. The DF 500 comes with 5/6/8/10 mm cutters. I like the range on my set up better for the larger projects I do. The 6mm cutter and shims give me 3/4" joining capability and that's about as thin as I typically work--just right for cabinet work.

You can add in the 4 mm cutter for the DF 500. I picked that one up as soon as I heard about it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks for all the replies! I ended up ordering the smaller domino, midi vac and the domino assortment. The domino and vac came yesterday, not I'm waiting for the tenon kit. I have played a little with it and I am happy so far! Thanks again!

Ted,

Can you elaborate on the quality/ease of use, etc. of the 6mm cutter & shim from Seneca. I am thinking it will be my next domino purchase (but currently sold out), and there isnt much feedback out there.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Ness View Post
    Ted,
    Can you elaborate on the quality/ease of use, etc. of the 6mm cutter & shim from Seneca. I am thinking it will be my next domino purchase (but currently sold out), and there isn't much feedback out there. -Dan
    Dan, I haven't used them yet, but I just went and checked what they sent. I signed up for e-mail notification and ordered them as soon as they said they were available. The bit came in a container marked Festool 8mm, but the actual bit had a Seneca tag that said 6mm. The two shim plates, one labeled Nominal 1/2" and the other labeled Nominal 3/4" are well machined, with good fit and finish. They are substantial, which is good because I was afraid they were going to be some sort of plastic. There is a package of small screws for attaching them. If there were directions, I can't find them, but given the state of my shop they could be there. That's all I can tell you until I try them out.

I've got the 500, bought before there was a 700. I also have one of their vacs. Bought before I had the 500. They work great together. You may not need their vac with it but you *will* need someone's vac to pull the chips out of the hole it makes.

Overall, a good machine. Better and more accurate than a biscuit joiner. Initially mine had a problem that some others have had - the fence would slip vertically. There's another (or so I've read) potential problem with the lever that locks the fence at whatever angle you choose. That one is simply a matter of don't over tighten it or it'll break. The slipping is claimed to be caused by lubricant that may have been left on the die casting during the machining process. The fix is to clean those surfaces with a solution of Simple Green or dishwashing soap, then use an ignition file *gently* to slightly roughen the surface that the lock mechanism touches. I suspect that doing something like that voids the warranty so you might want to think about that if you think yours needs it. I did all that and haven't had a slip since.

Overall, a very good machine. Probably not the ideal choice in every situation but a great one in others.

FWIW, the Festool vac is the bomb for sanding. It connects directly to my old PC random orbit sanders. Nowadays sanding is a dust free experience for me.