Thread: Platter??

Platter??

I snagged the end cut of a wide board at work. It's only 1" thick but it 27" wide. Might make a platter, I'm still trying to make up my mind on what to do with it. It's Africa Mahogany. Deane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Looks like fun, Deanne. How would you mount a platter that wide and thin on the lathe?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use a glue block. It's not that heavy since it's so thin.
    Franklin P. Jones

Nice wood and mounting choice. Is that a solid or lam. piece of Mahogany.

It is a solid. It was the widest one in the bundle.

That will make a beautiful platter! Glue block should work fine.

Glue block. Though I've done platters up to 16" out of 1" thickness with a tenon cut into the bottom (less than 1/8" is enough). But at 27", definitely use a glue block and work in from the rim in small increments, pretty much finishing each as you go. I know from experience that by the time I got perhaps 4-5" in on 16", the rim was beginning to go out of true. You can't go back very far.

Looking forward to seeing the finished platter.

Nice snag. What diameter are you planning to do? Have you got a different lathe lately? I keep looking for a 30 - 32" piece to do an outboard one time on my Powermatic just to say I did.

Looking forward to seeing the finished platter! Would be great if we could see a few in-progress photos while turning it! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I prefer platter blanks a bit thicker. By the time you true up the bottom and top, you will probably be down to 3/4 inch thick, especially on a piece that size. The flat work side of me says make a table top out of it. Sacrilege I know, but.... If it is quarter sawn, it will be more stable. If rift or flat sawn, there can be movement problems.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    The flat work side of me says make a table top out of it. Sacrilege I know, but....

robo hippy
    I have 20 times more flat work experience than turning, but I have way too many tables already (my weakness). I'm leaning toward leaving it sq. on the out side and dishing out the center, and getting artsy on the rest. I may wienie out once I start it up since I can only get down to 360 RPMs, we'll see. I'll use the old Delta at work it's anchored to the concrete floor.
    Franklin P. Jones

Hello, I make a lot of large platters. I only go to 20 inch, but am working on an outboard turning stand. I often use the 1 to 1.61 rule on the top to base rule. I make my waste block out of doubled up 3/4 plywood. That way I can use nice long screws. I also make my waste blocks large nearly as large as the foot. The largest faceplate that I have is 6 inch. I think the large waste block gives stability. Good luck with your project!

Deane,

Could try a bowl from a board. Golden Triangle Woodturners have a useful demo video http://www.goldentrianglewoodturners...MO_VIDEOS.html. GTW do it with two boards, but you can do it with one board, but it restricts your depth of bowl to get a decent shape.

Brian