Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Epilog Helix Laser with Chinese or other less expensive laser

Replacing Epilog Helix Laser with Chinese or other less expensive laser

Hi-

I recently purchased a 2007 75W Epilog Helix 24x18 machine that has had the laser removed due to governmental requirements to dispose of "hazardous materials" . According to Epilog, I can purchase a new 75W Coherent laser from them for about $12k, or their own house-developed 60W laser for about $6.5k, neither of which is a particularly great price. I'm wondering how much luck people have had substituting cheaper Chinese water-cooled lasers for these ones, or if there are other alternatives as well. I see a lot of complete systems coming from China, and the raw laser components (tubes, power supplies), but I haven't found any examples of someone successfully setting one of these up inside an Epilog. Maybe that's because most people aren't faced with a $6.5k laser replacement because they have a core to trade so it only costs $1795 to repair.

We have a full machine shop here and EE expertise as well, so we can fabricate anything we need to package and interface the laser in the machine nicely. What we don't have much expertise in is the compatibility of these lasers to the Epilog machine, e.g. beam diameter, optical alignment, laser control signals (fire, pulse, fault, etc.).

Has anyone done this?

Colby

That's a new one on me. Why would you buy a machine without a tube? Take the Epilog deal for their tube.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Have you tried to find a used tube that you could have repaired or exchanged by epilog?
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

What country are you from? You may be able to post on forums for a "needed a bad tube cheap" and use that for a core....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

" I recently purchased a 2007 75W Epilog Helix 24x18 machine that has had the laser removed due to governmental requirements to dispose of "hazardous materials" ."

Anybody know what the problem/issue was with the old tube ??
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    That's a new one on me. Why would you buy a machine without a tube? Take the Epilog deal for their tube.
    Because the machine cost a little over $3k and is in good condition otherwise. The real question now is can we get it up and running for $5k total or $10k total.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    What country are you from? You may be able to post on forums for a "needed a bad tube cheap" and use that for a core....
    Yes - I have been looking. The problem is that most people just go ahead and have any broken ones repaired due to the inherent value of the cores.
    Last edited by Colby Boles; 04-18-2013 at 2:55 PM.

Absolutely nothing was wrong with the laser before destruction. Your Govt. dollars + bureaucracy at work. They are not allowed to release certain items to the surplus channel with "hazardous materials" in them. Sad really. On the other hand, if the machine was intact, it might fetch more money than it costs to replace the laser.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    " I recently purchased a 2007 75W Epilog Helix 24x18 machine that has had the laser removed due to governmental requirements to dispose of "hazardous materials" ."

Anybody know what the problem/issue was with the old tube ??

I'm new to these forums so I can't post to the classifieds yet. I will do that soon, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post

It is *possible* to interface a glass tube , you need a tube and power supply , a motherboard and lcd panel. Possibly new stepper motors and stepper motor drives. Will cost about $1000-2000
    It wont be easy tho. You will have to most likely rewire and do extensive fabrication on the machine. Basically the software and hardware (non epilog , would be something like RDCAM + RDLC320 motherboard) will control the stepper motors , steps per inch when the machine fires , acceleration rates , what the machine limits are etc etc etc
    All in could cost you close to or more than $4-5k in time , aggravation etc. You would still have a compromised "unsaleable" machine.
    I think it would be better to get a RF tube for $6.5k or import a fully running 1200 x 900 80w machine from china for that money.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Colby

You can post to the classifieds by becoming a contributor. You can do that at anytime. Only contributors can post to the classifieds.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Colby, as Rodne says you would need to do a wholescale exchange of parts to use a Chinese glass tube. You can't make your system interface with a glass tube as they are so radically different in operation. You need to find a used tube; maybe this means finding a broken tube first. I would put out feelers to any laser repair places you can find; maybe some Epilog reps could give you a heads-up on a broken machine. Try Photovac and Laserresale and Access Business Solutions (usedlasers.com) and shake the bushes. Also you could try Coherent directly and see if they have ideas for you. Maybe something will show up.

The story about having to remove the tube because it contained hazardous materials is suspicious. There has to be more to the story but maybe you will never find out. Maybe someone misunderstood the rules - this has never come up on the forum as far as I know.

Ya CO2 is deadly if you suck the tube dry.........$2,000 hammers and toilets at work here !

I can only imagine what gets done to a "laser printer" that has outlived it usefulness.
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 04-18-2013 at 5:58 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Colby, have you tried usedlasersdotcom? they may have some refurbished tubes or may be able to find you one.
    Paul
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

I'd buy the 60W tube from Epilog. At the end of the day you will spend $10,000 for a machine Epilog sells new for around $15-20,000 I believe. Epilogs are faster and easier to operate than Chinese machines.

If you're really curious about Chinese machines, check out Morntech's office in Stockton, CA. I don't know anything about them but at least you'll get a demo so you can make a more informed decision.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving