Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: help me identify this Atkins?

Check the taper grinding on the blade. The 400 had five guages of taper over the length of the blade. I think the 53 only had three.

On the medallion of the second saw; PHEONIX WARRANTED above an eagle Both saws are about the same length. MIGHT go back to that store, seems they have a couple more "good ones" in the $3-5 range.SDC14812.jpgSDC14388.jpgCleaned up, they do good work...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 04-17-2013 at 3:15 PM.

Hey Mike,

As was already stated, I think you have a No.70 there. Here's a scan out of my 1907 pocket catalog.
    Hope it answers some of your questions.

Take care,
    Daryl

scan0006.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Weir View Post
    Hey Mike,

As was already stated, I think you have a No.70 there. Here's a scan out of my 1907 pocket catalog.
    Hope it answers some of your questions.

Take care,
    Daryl

scan0006.jpg
    Hello Daryl,

Thank you very much for your information and for attaching a scan of your catalog -- I really appreciate your help. If anyone would know the correct model number, you certainly would.

I'm sure I'm sure you hear this all the time, but I am a HUGE fan of your work! I have three of your saws and they are absolutely fantastic in every way! One of your saws was the first expertly tuned handsaw I had ever used (a #12, 28", 6 PPI ripsaw) and it was absolutely a revelation for me -- I had no idea I could easily and accurately rip 6/4 red Oak with a handsaw!

Daryl, your saws are the reason I haven't owned a table saw in 15 years and why I first became interested in restoring and sharpening my own saws. On behalf of hand tool woodworkers, thank you very much for all the work you've done to help us realize what an expertly sharpened/tuned vintage saw can really do!

Okay, I know --- now I'm just gushing -- OMG! I got a post from DARYL WEIR - Wow!!! I may never wash this mouse again!

Daryl, I don't want to push my luck, but any chance we could get some pictures of your collection? Any particular favorites?

All the best, Mike

Atkins Saw - Help with its id?

Any idea when this saw was made. Can't find it in any online Atkins Catalog. Etch looks like No 5.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN BYERS View Post
    Any idea when this saw was made. Can't find it in any online Atkins Catalog. Etch looks like No 5.
    That looks more like a saw made by Geo. H. Bishop. That could be why it isn't in any online Atkins Catalog.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

DSCN2842.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That looks more like a saw made by Geo. H. Bishop. That could be why it isn't in any online Atkins Catalog.

jtk
    Sorry but has a Atkins etch looks like No 5

The handle does somewhat look like a Geo Bishop handle.
    DSCN2843.jpg

Frankensaw?

Have you had the handle off?

With handle off

This is with handle off.

Handle design looks/is factory. I think it was in the 1912 Atkins catalog there was a No 4 and No 6 but the No 5 was skipped.
    Perhaps it was made for a certain hardware supplier like Van Camp or made earlier which I can't find in earlier catalogs. Will look more when time allows, have already
    spent quite a bit of time researching it online.

DSCN2844.jpg
    Last edited by CALVIN BYERS; 02-26-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    Calvin Byers

Looks like that handle has been with that blade for a while. Another data point, attached is a picture of a removable handle from a nest of saws I have that is marked "Zenith" by a firm named Marshall Wells. Marshall Wells was a Hardware Store operating out of Duluth MN from 1902-1960. They resold saws made by both Bishop and Atkins. Further, since Bishop and Atkins both operated close to each other, it isn't unheard of that they might emulate each others goods to grab market share. The fact that the blade is etched Atkins tells me it was made by Atkins. Those saws are not that common, and it's unlikely it's a replacement. For what it's worth, the blade attachment point on the Zenith nest I have is identical to the one the OP shows. I think it was so you could adjust the hang angle up or down and anywhere in between.

Further, while comparison of two single handles is not sufficient to draw a conclusion, the wing nut on my saw is different than that shown on the OPs saw, suggesting that they had different makers.

zenith.jpg

Look at the underside of handle.

DSCN2845.jpg

Would anyone know who manufactured Standard handsaws?
    DSCN2863.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN BYERS View Post
    Would anyone know who manufactured Standard handsaws?
    DSCN2863.jpg
    Disston (No. 085)
    Last edited by Joe Bailey; 03-13-2019 at 6:06 PM.

does it have a metal plate on the handle?