Thread: Stanley adjustment nut stud damage

Stanley adjustment nut stud damage

I was disassembling a newly aquired Staley Bed Rock 606 in preparation for cleaning and restoration and I inadvertantly damaged the threads of the adjustment nut stud slightly. I normally would use two nuts to safely grip the bolt but being this is a left hand thread finding these nuts was not practical. I still have not freed the stud so I have two option:

1) Find a way to remove this stud from the frog without breaking the casting and repair the stud by chasing new threads (either by hand or by finding the appropriate die). The adjusting nut will still thread onto the stud but it is a tight fit.

2) Sacrifice the stud to assure the frog casting stays intact and replace the stud.

How would you proceed? Any info or sources for a 1/4" 24 die ( or is it a 9/32" 24?)? Any sources for a replacement stud? Incidentally, I'm looking for a 1-1/4" adjustment nut for a different plane. I'd like to replace the 1" nut that is period correct with a larger nut as all my other planes have a larger nut and I find them more comfortable to use.

Thanks for any help that can be offered,
    -Andrew

why were you removing the stud? I would leave it, take a very fine file and fix the threads.

I've already removed the lateral adjuster and yoke pins. The adjustment nut stud was the last part to remove to get back to a clean casting. I guess I just wanted to get it out and take care of all the rust. The plan is to strip and re-enamal all the japaned areas as they are less than 30% (and most likely hiding more rust).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Nemeth View Post
    I've already removed the lateral adjuster and yoke pins. The adjustment nut stud was the last part to remove to get back to a clean casting. I guess I just wanted to get it out and take care of all the rust. The plan is to strip and re-enamal all the japaned areas as they are less than 30% (and most likely hiding more rust).
    I don't remove the lat adjuster or stud. It to easy to break the frog putting the lat adjuster back on and screw up the threads on the studs.

I'm not too woried about putting it back together, that's the easy part. I'm much more concerned about damaging things when taking them apart.

Andrew, if the stud is not rusted into place, it is easy to remove. Hold the frog in a vise. Use a small piece of aluminum flashing, folded over a couple of times to wrap the stud. Then grip it tightly with vise grips and unscrew. The aluminum protects the threads and it grips well. Be sure to turn in the correct direction, it probably has left hand threads.

Blog Entries
    For me it always seems easier to leave the stud in place and use tape to mask it off.

Just now checked the threads on the adjuster stud. They are 9/32-24 along with being left handed. Not a tap or die found in every hardware store or big box store.

You may also find that due to wear of the taps and dies Stanley used, along with the wear from previous owners, matching a brass adjuster to the stud isn't always a works first time every time proposition.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Kemil- thanks for the flashing tip. I was wrapping with paper towel, in hindsight it probably was not the best idea.

Jim- thanks for checking the size, I had a feeling that it would not be so easy to find. And good point about matching the nut and the stud.

I think that's a part that Stanley sells (sold?) in their hand-plane screw parts kit . . . if that's the case, I probably have it kicking around in this little box in the shop, although it would take me a little while to find it. If it helps, you can have it, although I agree with others, it's not something I generally remove during rehab.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Joshua- if you happen to have one, it would certainly be appreciated. I will think twice about removing the next one. As far as this one is concerned, if I can find a replacement, I think I'd like to replace it.

-Andrew

I'll take a look later this afternoon and PM you, Andrew.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

If you send the frog to me I will remove it and put in or send a replacment stud. I charge $1 for the stud but You should also pay return shipping I will trade you brass nuts if you include the small one and one of size nuts what you want to trade for.

Tom
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    If you send the frog to me I will remove it and put in or send a replacment stud. I charge $1 for the stud but You should also pay return shipping I will trade you brass nuts if you include the small one and one of size nuts what you want to trade for.

Tom
    I am in need of an adjustment stud for my #7 Stanley plane. I messed it up trying to remove it, long story let suffice that I had a big case of dumbass.

Tom Bloom