Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tattoo question

Tattoo question

I have a question for those of you who have tattoos. I really dont want to hear any stories of "this friends i have" or "someone i knew once". Cause they are a dime a dozen. What I would like to hear is from those who have a tattoo, but not just some tribal or a plain tattoo. I mean a tattoo with meaning, like that one you got for someone close to you has passed, or for something you went through. One that has a connection to your life. Do you ever look at a tattoo like that and regret getting it, or wish you hadnt? Or do you see it and remember why you got it?

Im curious, cause Ive only heard stories from people who've never had any themselves. Or from a few people I know that got something just for the sake of getting one.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I got a tattoo when I was 14 years old. I'd been in jail and the cool guys had tattoos. I wanted to be tough and cool so I had an artist friend tattoo a skull and cross bones on my arm. This was in 1964 when it wasn't anywhere near as common as today. I felt I was "making a statement" that I was a rebel. I lived like a rebel and was in jail a few more times.

In 1975 I got off drugs and alcohol. I became an honest, hard working tax paying citizen.

Thankfully my tattoo must not have been deep enough to be permanent. After a year it seemed to grow apart and within 3 years it disappeared. I guess if God wanted to have a rebel symbol on me I'd have been born with one.

I got a rose tattoo in my thirties in memory of my mom. I don't regret getting it, and I think of her every time I see the tattoo. It's a reminder to me to live 'happy'.

Curtis, I have many tattoos and each one has some meaning to me. The last one I got was a phoenix to mark the start of a new beginning in my life. And no, I have not regretted a single one.

Just remember that for many people, including some employers, tattoos are known as "Tramp Stamps". Depending on your profession, they could hinder your advancement.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Even the Armed Forces have new, stricter regulations concerning tatoos. Members of the armed forces can now be forced to leave the service if they have or get an illegal tatoo.

Plastics surgeons wouldn't be trained in the skill of using lasers to remove tatoos if there weren't a lot of people who later regretted getting them.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Plastics surgeons wouldn't be trained in the skill of using lasers to remove tatoos if there weren't a lot of people who later regretted getting them.

But what Im interested in is what percentage of those are "just tattos" i.e. naked woman, stereotypical skull and bones, girlfriends name, exwifes name, VERSUS a tattoo of your kids names, something signifying your heritage or the things that made you who you are, or something to remind you of a lost loved one.

Hey Curtis, just a comment from a non-tattooed old guy, you don't need a tattoo to remind you of your loss; memories will do just fine for that.

But who doesn't like a nice naked lady tattoo?

One thing to remember though is that the message you send is not necessarily the message received.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Hey Curtis, just a comment from a non-tattooed old guy, you don't need a tattoo to remind you of your loss; memories will do just fine for that.

But who doesn't like a nice naked lady tattoo?

One thing to remember though is that the message you send is not necessarily the message received.

Im not saying Im getting one,,, Im just curious cause every time Ive heard about tattoos, its either from someone who just got one, or its from someone who has never had one but claims that all of them are later regretable. I just want to hear the other side of the argument, from people whove had them for years.

My "uncle" had a tattoo. It was from Auschwitz. Tattoos are not happy things to me.
    Mike

Point being: not everyone will have the same thoughts about them that you do.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Disclaimer-I don't and won't have any tattos. Nothing against others having them, they're just not for me.

I'm an MRI tecnologist by trade and tattoos can and do cause burns during an MRI exam. This is not a joke-I have personally seen it. It is well documented in the MRI safety literature. It's not common, but it can happen. Supposedly the bright colorful inks contain metallic compounds that get heated by the magnetic fields. Any metal can be a hazard in MRI whether it is magnetic or not. All metals are conductors of electricity and heat. Body piercings have also become a significant problem.

I give you a lot of credit for asking about this subject. It shows you are thinking rationally before doing something fairly permanent to your body. What others have said about 1st impressions is true-you don't get a second chance at one. It is also true that laser removal is a long, expensive and painful process. You're a smart young man and don't need to rush into anything. While tattoos are very popular, it does not mean they are universaly accepted, regardless of their meaning to the bearer. If this has anything to do with your step-dad, ask yourself what would he think if he saw one on you.

And thanks for trusting in your Creeker family. Always here to help.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    Im not saying Im getting one,,, Im just curious cause every time Ive heard about tattoos, its either from someone who just got one, or its from someone who has never had one but claims that all of them are later regretable. I just want to hear the other side of the argument, from people whove had them for years.
    Probably should have asked somewhere else.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post
    Disclaimer-I don't and won't have any tattos. Nothing against others having them, they're just not for me.

I'm an MRI tecnologist by trade and tattoos can and do cause burns during an MRI exam. This is not a joke-I have personally seen it. It is well documented in the MRI safety literature. It's not common, but it can happen. Supposedly the bright colorful inks contain metallic compounds that get heated by the magnetic fields. Any metal can be a hazard in MRI whether it is magnetic or not. All metals are conductors of electricity and heat. Body piercings have also become a significant problem.

I give you a lot of credit for asking about this subject. It shows you are thinking rationally before doing something fairly permanent to your body. What others have said about 1st impressions is true-you don't get a second chance at one. It is also true that laser removal is a long, expensive and painful process. You're a smart young man and don't need to rush into anything. While tattoos are very popular, it does not mean they are universaly accepted, regardless of their meaning to the bearer. If this has anything to do with your step-dad, ask yourself what would he think if he saw one on you.

And thanks for trusting in your Creeker family. Always here to help.
    Ditto on ALL Don said!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

One other note, I believe David Marks has a tattoo on his arm. In the episodes of Woodworks, he always wore long sleeves. I believe the producers of the show did not want to display his tattoo. Not everyone sees tattoos the same.
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Orr View Post

I'm an MRI tecnologist by trade and tattoos can and do cause burns during an MRI exam. This is not a joke-I have personally seen it. It is well documented in the MRI safety literature. It's not common, but it can happen.
    I volunteered at a charity that did hepatitis research. There are many health risks for getting a tattoo. Getting Hepatitis C is one of the risks. I have lots of studies that I can show you. The truth is tattoo licensing in the strictest states is a joke.
    Anytime you make a choice to have a your skin pierced you take a risk. Even hospitals, as clean and regulated as they are, have accidentally transmitted serious disease.