Thread: What a goof

What a goof

I did this vase from the root of a China Berry tree, The inside was going sooooo smooth and I didn't stop to measure because "I" know exactly what I am doing. Well I came through the side just below center. In the picture it is not as noticeable. I tried patching because it was a nice piece of wood. Oh well, I bet I stop and measure every three seconds from now on.

John Hart, if you're out there, I got the pear yesterday. Thanks much. I made a potpourri thingy out of one of the flat pieces(picture below). It had a bit of spalting in it. Thank you very much. Hopefully, my west Texas trip for the mesquite wont be too far away.

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ernie Nyvall; 05-12-2005 at 9:19 AM.

Ernie, not sure where you goofed bythat pic but by my standards it's a Master piece! Beautiful! All the work i've seen posted from you has been awesome!

Ernie,

That's a nice looking piece. Sorry to hear there is a flaw in it somewhere. I can't see it from here.

I guess you'll be more conscious of the rule now though.... Never let the inside get bigger than the outside.

Happy turning,
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Mike, that's a heck of a compliment. Thank you.
    Thanks to you as well Raymond. That's funny... inside bigger than the outside. Well, I certainly tried it. The damage is about 3/4 of the way down and just to the left. It happened in the spring growth ring and didn't overlap, so was easier to patch. It is very visible if you are holding it.

Ernie

Ernie, if you send that piece to my house I bet you won't be able to see the goof up from where you are!

Oh, yeah and you might as well include the potpourri thingy too.

Beautiful pieces, Ernie.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

If I had a buck for every time I have over turned something---we could have steaks for dinner tonight---or a full tank of gas in the truck.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Hey...that's great news Ernie. Beautiful work by the way....hardly a goof. I showed the picture to my girls (9&10) and they said, "Hey! our pear tree is famous!

Quite a treat. Thanks Ernie
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson