Thread: Lazarus Infill Planes my latest dsigns

Lazarus Infill Planes my latest dsigns

Hi folks. I haven't actually posted on this forum before. I've been making infills for a few years. These are a couple of my latest. The woods are hard maple and cherry. (the cherry is freshly cut and hasn't darkened yet.) I use A2 for the blades. The larger one is 1 7/8'' wide, the smaller one is 1 3/4''. I make planes with and without norris-type adjusters. All the ones without have a centered pin in the frog and a corresponding groove in the back of the blade. I find that this pivot point, along with set screws in the sides, makes blade adjustment pretty painless. I'd love to hear your thought, critiques, questions, and comments. -Mateo.infill pair 3.jpginfill pair 2.jpginfill pair 1.jpgprototype twelve 3.jpg

Mateo,
    They look wonderful! Love your design, as it is singular, and definitely noticeable. They look very solid, and appear to have a modern take on a classic design. Please provide us with more information on your work, as I'm sure we are all curious, to say the least!
    Maurice

Mateo - Good stuff!

An "A" for beauty and originality. I like the art deco feel. I also like that slab-o-steel bed for the blade.
    Could you show us the pin and groove pivot?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Welcome to the creek, Mateo. Do you have pictures of some of your other planes? Very nice.

I also really like these planes. Very original. The cap screw is very unique but looks solid and well engineered. Would love to see more of your work.

I ogle your planes on ebay for years now. I wish I could afford one.
    Any chance you can post step by step build pics?

I wouldn't want to disclose how messy my shop is. Heck, I wish I could afford keeping one.

very nice. I've been making infills lately as well. I find them a lot of fun to make. The mix of wood and metal work is a lot of fun. Are you making your own irons?

Yes, I make my own irons. I purchased a small Paragon kiln (for heat treatment) a while back. One of the smartest investments in gear that I've ever made.

Don,
    Check with a local heat treatment facility (if there is one in your area). I used one recently (for the second time) that charged $50 for up to 60 lbs of O1. I chopped some O1 bar stock (easily available on the net) into iron size pieces. Even though I had only a few pieces, it was still a 'bargain'. Next time I will give A2 a try. I think (haven't checked at my last visit) that the cost for a 50 lb pound batch with cryo treatment would be about twice as much.
    It is nice to have the skills to do what can be done in your 'backyard', but A2 might be beyond that feasibility. Maybe some research into what is feasible and at what costs. Knife makers should know much about such things and some of it might be usable to plane irons or chisels.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

i'm making 2 irons now. I've got the O-1 steel and a couple of guys willing to heat treat it for me. I was thinking the same thing about the A-2, but then I don't even buy it for my own planes. We'll see how it goes. If you give the A2 a try, I'd like to here your thoughts.

13. I looked at a local heat treat facility here, and they have a minimum order of $125, and don't do a lot of O1. So for me, looks like I will likely build myself a little 6 brick propane forge. Should be able to get it all put together $50. Would love more dedicated metal working and tool making equipment, but stuff is costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thornock View Post
    I looked at a local heat treat facility here, and they have a minimum order of $125, and don't do a lot of O1. So for me, looks like I will likely build myself a little 6 brick propane forge. Should be able to get it all put together $50. Would love more dedicated metal working and tool making equipment, but stuff is costly.
    contact Dave over at http://chiselandforge.com/. Tell him I sent you over.

Don,
    It probably will not be for a while before I give A2's a try. I hope that there are other members of the Forum who have some experience with commercial heat treatment facilities.
    Best wishes,
    Metod