Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaving your mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Aiken

Bob, I like the idea of the coin. I think I'll start adding that for future projects. Do you recess the coin with a Forstner bit, or just epoxy it on the surface?

STeve
    Steve, I do recess the coin with a forster bit. I scuff up the back of the coin with sandpaper and use 5 min. epoxy to glue it on. I often use the current "state quarter", but have been known to use other coins that I like. On the bookcase I'm currently building, I'm using a "walking liberty" silver dollar. Because this coin is beautiful and also relatively valuable (about $22), I'm mounting it using a clear plastic case, attached to a "secret" false bottom compartment underneath the bottom shelf.

The coin is secondary. I believe that when I'm long gone, my family will treasure my signature and message more than a piece of metal with a date.

Bob

Dumb sharpie question...

I have used a penny before, but not a sharpie. I am considering a branding iron, like Jason's, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

For those that use a sharpie...

I am assuming you sign before you start to finish. How does BLO and Varnish affect the sharpie ink? Does it ever smear? Has anyone tried this on cherry? I am wondering if it will show up after the cherry darkens? Those are the reasons I have not tried this yet, but as I complete more projects, I feel the need to do something besides the coin.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe
    I have used a penny before, but not a sharpie. I am considering a branding iron, like Jason's, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

For those that use a sharpie...

I am assuming you sign before you start to finish. How does BLO and Varnish affect the sharpie ink? Does it ever smear? Has anyone tried this on cherry? I am wondering if it will show up after the cherry darkens? Those are the reasons I have not tried this yet, but as I complete more projects, I feel the need to do something besides the coin.
    I sign in a location that is not directly visable...say the backside of a cabinet or the bottom of a drawer. These areas ar rarely finished in something that will adversely effect the sharpie.

I went with an electric branding iron, although I use pyrography for my turnings.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    I carve my initials into glue squeeze out.

Darren -too funny. -Steve

I wipe a bit of shellac on, and use india ink in a nib pen, with my name printed, and the date and "Philadelphia".
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I use a branding iron and put on the date..

Martin, I have signed over dried BLO and there is no problem with that. The spot that you choose to sign, will probably not see much sun light, so don't worry about darkening. And even the piece did darken, I can't imagine that it would matter all that much. If you're worried, sign an old scrap of cherry that's darkened in the shop and see what you get.

Christmas 2003 brought me an electric signature branding iron. I love it and it should last more years than I've got years. I use an electric wood burner to add the date.

I'm surprised that no one has suggested using a "Dremmel" type tool with a very fine burr. Anybody ever tried that??

I wonder if a "Sharpie" signature will still be legible after a 150 years??

I have been telling LOML leaving her Mark....is not a good idea
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have never signed my pieces, but have been giving it some thought. I would use a branding iron to do it. The question is what to sign. After some carefull consideration I thought that what J.S. Bach signed almost all his music with would be appropiate for me personally...

"Soli Gloria Deo"

regards
    lou

I have an electric pen sized soldering iron that I've used. I've also tried a metal engraving tool with good sucess. Yes you have to free hand it but thats what "hand made" is all about.

KP

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    I have never signed my pieces, but have been giving it some thought. I would use a branding iron to do it. The question is what to sign. After some carefull consideration I thought that what J.S. Bach signed almost all his music with would be appropiate for me personally...

"Soli Gloria Deo"

regards
    lou

Lou,

I like this. I really do.