Thread: HF 34706 q's - Changing Belt / Adjusting Pulley?

HF 34706 q's - Changing Belt / Adjusting Pulley?

Hi,

I am brand new to turning (and this forum) and have a HF 34706 lathe I just got a few weeks ago. I've read some books, watched some videos, and played around with mostly 2x4's that I've ripped on my BS. Really enjoying things. I have a few q's on my lathe. I have heard the belt tends to wear out and you have to change it. Can someone tell me what size / type belt I would get , and, how do I change it / or even adjust it ? (Do you take the motor off to get the belt off ?). Also, have heard about aligning the pulleys, can anyone explain how to do that, and, can you lubricate them ? I've no exp with a Reeves drive system, but, understand basic mechanical stuff. Do you loosen the set screw on the pulley ? Just not sure on a Reeves drive what is aligned and what is not.

I notice when I change speeds it is pretty hard to move the handle and am wondering if the drive needs lubricated, and, could I use lithium greese for that ?

Thanks !
    Chris

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Welcome to SMC. I am sure you will get answers to your questions.

In order to be a bona fide member of Saw Mill Creek the Terms of Service requires you to use a real first and last name. Please send Jackie Outten a Private Message with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

I am so sorry - I need to read ! I cannot figure out how to delete this post.
    Chris

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Quote Originally Posted by ISaw044
    I am so sorry - I need to read ! I cannot figure out how to delete this post.
    No need to delete your post or to be sorry for that matter - once you have registered you can't change the name under which you registered. Only a member of the Admin Staff can do that. Just send Jackie a PM with you real name and she will update your information.

Once she changes your name data, it will automatically change the name on this and all previous posts.

Thanks

Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 05-12-2005 at 7:55 AM.

Hello, and welcome to SMC. My lathe has the Reeves drive system and you can find a belt to match at some auto parts stores. Got mine at Western Auto. My setup is different though so that I can check the allignment with a plumb bob, but I did have to loosen the set screw to move the pulley. My drive was real stiff at first and understand that most are. *****Just make sure the lathe is running before you try to change speeds.*****
    As I am changing speeds, I do move the handle back and forth a hair after I have pulled it to release the pin. The reason is that the pin that holds the speed, gets wedged against the side of the hole it's in and has to be centered before it will come all the way out... especially from the lowest and highest speeds. I did't have to lubricate anything.
    Hope this helps some.

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ISaw044
    Hi,

I am brand new to turning (and this forum) and have a HF 34706 lathe I just got a few weeks ago. I've read some books, watched some videos, and played around with mostly 2x4's that I've ripped on my BS. Really enjoying things. I have a few q's on my lathe. I have heard the belt tends to wear out and you have to change it. Can someone tell me what size / type belt I would get , and, how do I change it / or even adjust it ? (Do you take the motor off to get the belt off ?). Also, have heard about aligning the pulleys, can anyone explain how to do that, and, can you lubricate them ? I've no exp with a Reeves drive system, but, understand basic mechanical stuff. Do you loosen the set screw on the pulley ? Just not sure on a Reeves drive what is aligned and what is not.

I notice when I change speeds it is pretty hard to move the handle and am wondering if the drive needs lubricated, and, could I use lithium greese for that ?

Thanks !
    Hi and welcome, I have a HF lathe and Had the same issues,the first thing i found is you need to replace the drive belt before doing anything with your lathe as i found that all my problems stemmed from this cheesy belt. Mine was an A22 belt not sure about yours. I took the info off the belt & went to auto parts but they could not match the P/N so i took the belt off and took it with me and they matched it. Now it works great. before it would just stall out and i thought it was my motor but it was my belt. You do not have to remove the motor to remove you belt. If it is the varible speed type (Reeves drive) all you have to do is make sure the handle is in slowest speed setting, this opens the spindle thingy to it's widest point, then use the allen wrench that came with your Lathe to loosen one side of the pully (the motor side) then it slips off easily. When you put the belt on you will have to use a large screwdriver or similar tool to help press the spring loaded cam back to alignment and then tighten the allen screws and your ready to go. If this doesn't help I could take some pics tonight when i get home to demonstrate this.

Thanks Mike. I think that will give me enough info to give it a shot. In researching I found folks saying the belt gave out fast and I was worried about it giving out and then having nothing to take to a store to find a replacment, so, figured if I take it off now I have a better chance. I did write the #'s off the belt down, just in case it disentagrated. I ended up not even using the HF metal stand and mounted mine on a real heavy stand I already had, and then added MDF for the top and a lower shelf on which I put about 250lbs of sand. So far I am real happy with the lathe. Tons to learn.
    Chris

Hi Chris, good to know your name..I haven't modified mine yet but it's on my list to do.

Chris, My belt on the 34706 went fast, Called HF they sent a different belt for it under warrenty, it is lasting good. Mine changing speeds was very hard. Took the pulleys apart cleaned and lightly oiled. They now work smooth and easy.
    Bob

I did pay for an extended warrenty, did not even think about that option on the belt - thanks. Also, what type of oil did you use, or , does it matter? I picked up some white lithium spray (grease) from Lowes the other day with this in mind. I also did a real cheep mod on the motor case "lid" (the part you take off to get to the pulleys) in that I lined the edges with masking tape. I noticed it was making a lot of noise during operation that would clear if I put my hand on the lid, the masking tape fix completely removed that. I am used to a motor on a slide where you tension the belt by sliding the motor (like on my BandSaw) , I guess that concept does not apply to a Reeves drive ? (That is, is there any way to tension this belt?). Just could not figure that out in the short peek I took at it.

Thanks again.
    Chris

Chris, I think your problem will go away once you put a quality belt on. I think the tension increases and decreases with the speed control. You can adjust it somewhat on the motor side pully. I think it is force driven. Leave the cover off and start the lathe in low speed and watch how it works and i think you will get an idea of any adjustments you can do. I thought i had to adjust mine because of the work slowing but it turned out that it was only the belt and the tapered drive center slipping in the holder.