Thread: Moss on roof edge

Unhappy Moss on roof edge

I have moss on the edge of the roof with a vinyl facia below it. I've heard that you can use colorox for removing the moss but I'm wondering whether it will affect the vinyl facia. If anybody has any idea how to handle this I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Moss

David, the Bleach will remove the moss and it will not hurt the Vinyl Siding/Fascia. You only need about a 50/50 mix of bleach and water to get the job done. Any commercially available Siding and Deck Wash will also work. Most of the Siding and Deck Wash products contain some Chlorine anyway, and many of them suggest that the product can be mixed with household bleach to increase the effectiveness of the product. Just spray it on, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, and blast it off. Very stubborn or heavily infested areas may need to be lightly brushed with a soft nylon bristle brush to remove the accumulation, but most of it will wash right off. Just remember to protect any plant material that may come into contact with the runoff............plants are not very fond of bleach. If it does get on desirable vegetation, a good flush with water will dilute the bleach enough to prevent damage. Good Luck................I hate mold!

A copper or zinc ridge cap should prevent future moss growth after you get the current moss crop cleaned off. Rainwater will leach off copper sulphate or zinc sulphate to prevent further moss growth.