Thread: Would anyone on Long Island let me try their Jet 10-20 Drum Sander on my frames?

Would anyone on Long Island let me try their Jet 10-20 Drum Sander on my frames?

Forgive me if this is an inappropriate question, but I'm considering getting a Jet Drum Sander but I've read conflicting stories on whether it would work for my frames, and I would really like to just run one through a real sander before plunking down my $$$. Is there anyone out there who has a Drum Sander and would be willing to let me see what it can do? I work in Hicksville and live in Manhasset, but I'm willing to drive if you're willing to play. My project is in the attached photo. I do 20 or 30 of them at a time and my arms are getting tired.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ken,

How big are your frames? If they are under ten inches wide the Jet 10-20 sander should work fine.
    I have one and it is quite impressive for its size.

I don't think you would have a problem with it at all.

You don't want to take off a lot at one time and if you have it set up right the frame could be up to 20".
    When you sand cross grain you just want to take a very little off at a time. I have done raised panel doors on it with no problem and I would think that is not much different then a frame.

I have done 19"x48"x1" panel on mine and it came out great, for something that large you need in feed and out feed support.

If you want to drive down to Texas you can sure use mine...

Thank you for the responses. My frames are 9 1/8 x 11 5/8", so they would fit assembled, or I could sand the rails and then do the assembly. Could I go from 120 grit on the DS straight to 180 on the orbital? It would I have to go coarser on the ROS as some have suggested?

I'll be in Tx in February, but I can't wait that long. Thank you for the offer, though!