Thread: Powermatic 3520b stopped.

Powermatic 3520b stopped.

Hello,
    Was turning the bottom of cedar when the motor just stopped, powered off made no difference. The inverter flashes between F543 and F542. Any clews? Anyone know where these codes are posted? Not sure if over the 5 year or not.

Thanks,
    Bob

Found list of error codes here http://www.delta.com.tw but not the F543.
    Last edited by Bob Coates; 04-07-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Well, just retried and it runs. still like to know what the error codes say. The inverter is a Delta vfd015s21u.

Magic

Bob
    can't help with the error codes, but often times the issue is saw-dust. The Nova I have has an optical sensor and when that gets blocked you get errors.
    I recommend that anyone with an electronic controlled lathe, clean the dust out every year or so.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Bob, My 3520 dislikes when i stop it with a large unbalanced piece on board. If I don't manually stop the piece the inverter will go into a safety mode. I have to shut off the power for a bit and restart. I've never experienced motor stop while the the lathe was in run mode.
    faust

Bob....be advised that hitting the red stop button on the control panel does not remove power to the inverter. You have to unplug the lathe to remove power to the inverter.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bob, I am glad it is working again. Powermatic 3520b's are not allowed to break.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Bob - you probably know more about the error codes than I, but I think the F in the code actually points to the AC drive master frequency and is not an actual error code. If you didn't have a catch and the lathe just shut down, then it might be something on the AC input side of things - like a momentary drop or surge from something. The fact that your lathe started back up... is a good thing and shows that the problem was temporary. I wouldn't worry about anything unless it happens again.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Faust,
    If the lathe trips off when you have a large unbalanced piece on, it is most likely because you have it in high speed range, and the electronic brake is over loaded. Happened with my A a number of times till I figured it out.

Bob,
    I have tripped my safety on both my old PM, and my Robust from heavy coring with the blade binding a bit. Mostly it can get a bit too torqued out, and then says "I need a break". If you are cutting cedar, I don't think that could be the problem.

robo hippy

Thanks everyone, I checked the inverter after it was running again and noticed that it might not have been a error code? I never paid any attention to the lights on the inverter before. It seems that as the speed changes are it also changes. Is it showing the frequency--pushing my electric knowledge here.
    Thanks again.

Bob

Bob
    My Vega 2600 has done this same thing on a couple occasions. My electronics guy said that the inverter gets a strange signal High or Low Voltage for just long enough to trip the inverter. He said as long as it doesn't happen alot it will be fine. He also told me to Vacuum (Best)or blow out the inverter every couple weeks,if you blow it out you must have dry air and low pressure around 30 to 40 psi anything very strong will blast the dust into other places it don't belong.
    Hope this helps.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I just added a VFD to my metal lathe and have now gone through programming the thing and the numbers you referred to looked like maybe 54.2 and 54.3 hz?? Most error codes are words like OVL for overload. My Delta on my PM3520 often has issues after the power goes on and off a few times due to a storm. I just unplug it for a few minutes then try again. Often that fixes the problem, but sometimes I have to do it twice. And yes as you turn the Delta VFD's control up and down, you'll see the Frequency numbers change. The TECO VFD can go from 0 to 200 hz. I have it limited to 60 hz though, so I just see 0-60.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Coates View Post
    Thanks everyone, I checked the inverter after it was running again and noticed that it might not have been a error code? I never paid any attention to the lights on the inverter before. It seems that as the speed changes are it also changes. Is it showing the frequency--pushing my electric knowledge here.
    Thanks again.

Bob

Not sure if this will help but the 3520 has a safety switch? like many machines. If the motor stops for any reason( a power blink) it shuts off the power to the motor until the switch is turned off and back on. This is to prevent any surprises upon power return. The first thing to check probably. Have you ever disassembled your mower because of the safety lever? Don't ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Faust,
    If the lathe trips off when you have a large unbalanced piece on, it is most likely because you have it in high speed range, and the electronic brake is over loaded. Happened with my A a number of times till I figured it out.

Bob,
    I have tripped my safety on both my old PM, and my Robust from heavy coring with the blade binding a bit. Mostly it can get a bit too torqued out, and then says "I need a break". If you are cutting cedar, I don't think that could be the problem.

robo hippy
    Reed - how do you make it go back on

Oh, it was a long time ago... I think some lathes have a reset button. I think I just turned mine off, and then turned it back on.

robo hippy