Thread: Engraving Wine Glasses

Engraving Wine Glasses

Some time ago I received very helpful advice on how to figure out settings for my Rotary Laser Engraver, was able to put that into practise today, comments and advice always welcomed, Amos.
    Good better best, never let it rest, til your good is better and your better best.
    Omni Pro 3000 with 80watt Laser tube
    Gravograph M 20+

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    Amos, these look good but you do know that it's 2013
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

Amos, those are some of the best I have seen!! What wattage laser do you have, what settings did you use? Did you you color fill the engravings afterwards?

I agree with Ron, you do realize that it is 2013 don't you, or did you just use old glasses?

Bruce
    Hardware: Chinese Laser
    GWeike C1290 80 watt Reci laser
    Home built CNC, Joe's hybrid 4x4
    12" Delta Bandsaw, Jet Table Saw
    Router table, and more.
    Software: CorelDraw Suite 5x
    PhotoShop 7,

Ron and Bruce, the customer had a special request for a gift, that is why the 2004.
    The laser Engraver is an OmniSign Pro 3000 with an 80 Watt tube; however the settings are hard to describe, why? because there is a ten turn potentiometer on the main panel, so if you set the power to 50 percent, it will depend what setting the manual potentiometer is set to, to determine the true power!!!, usually I leave the potentiometer in a set position, and alter the power via the software(Lasercut 5.1). I had a practise glass and set it to a point where the minimum amount of power gave a good engrave. Amos
    Good better best, never let it rest, til your good is better and your better best.
    Gravograph M 20+

Just a suggestion, since I don't know how the art was prepared. Fill the lettering at 70-80% black @ 500 dpi, that will eliminate bubbling and glass shards on the champagne glass. Gives it more or a sandblasted look.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    Fill the lettering at 70-80% black @ 500 dpi, that will eliminate bubbling and glass shards on the champagne glass. Gives it more or a sandblasted look.
    I'll second this... and suggest 70% at something closer to 250-300dpi. I see some major chipout in that pic, and this change in settings should eliminate that.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I prepared the lettering in Photoshop on a 1200dpi Bitmap setting, I just selected the font and size then imported it to Lasercut 5.1, when you say "fill" do you mean making the Bitmap setting say 250dpi and then reducing the amount of black, or are you referring to a process that I am not familiar with??? thanks, Amos
    Gravograph M 20+

Amos, they are referring to using something other than a all black setting on the text. Make the RGB something like 37,37,37 instead of 0,0,0.

I have no idea how lasercut deals with that, so it might or might not work on your setup. In other systems, what that does is causes dithering of the color, so it's moving the dots further apart, which makes the engraving look more uniform.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks Scott, I will experiment with that, Amos
    Gravograph M 20+

I have tried a lower DPI, and tried adjusting colour as suggested, however, there was no appreciable difference, I did try lowering my power setting and that helped a bit. I need to be pointed to where there are some detailed instructions on this matter, and will try to read and do what I read. There may be thread somewhere, so if you know of it, please point it out, thanks in advance, Amos
    Gravograph M 20+