Thread: Wood Identification

Wood Identification

A neighbor cut up a a dead fallen tree. Very dry, and I have several sections. Any idea what kind of wood this is? I would guess the tree was 25', had 2 major trunks and was not straight. It may have been a part of an old avocado orchard. I have never seen avocado wood cut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I am thinking that this is avocado. Light, smooth, simple grain, even color, some sheen.

looks like a nice grain, very thin bark, does it shed its bark in the past?

4. I have no knowledge of avocado wood.......but the grain and colors in that should make for some very nice turnings.......good luck with it and make sure to post........if you get verification on whether it is avocado, let us know that as well.

Thanks Brian.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Now I am sure. This is a part of the old avocado grove that covered all of the hill and valley. I took some pictures of the neighbor's attempt to restore a part of the old grove. These dead trees are just across the fence from there. I included a few pictures of live trees to show the branch shapes and the bark.

This is a quick turning, just sanded at 80 grit, to show the grain and the edge. Most of this has a much smoother edge than what I chose just to look inside. This is very dry wood and I will never turn without my half-mask respirator. Because this came from twisty branches, they were lifted off the ground as they dried.

The weight is like dry poplar and the hardness is more like softwood. The sanding is very easy. A sharp scraper left a pretty nice finish and could take off material quickly.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-10-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Beautiful coloration in the wood. But do I need glasses for those newest pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Sutherland View Post
    Beautiful coloration in the wood. But do I need glasses for those newest pics?
    Absolutely! Taken in shadows, hand-held, and with a dying iphone. The fuzziness isn't the wood.

The only avocado I've turned came in a bag full of drippy, smelly 5 day old avocado juice. Washed it and it turned great with figure. Sure looks the same. Brian, Just noticed where your abode is. Bueatiful--you should be on a surfboard or sailboat. Wooden of course. With a rosewood tiller.

The grain looks somewhat like some China Berry that I have. I was told once that China Berry was American Mahogony, and it does have some nice grain but is fairly soft and stringy when wet, and subject to tear out when dry.

Being dead, your wood has a darker and duller color from live wood, but it looks sound except for some surface cracks. Go for it in any case, but I would try some normal bowls with base toward the bark and rim toward pith.

I really enjoyed the tree photos. I like the idea of submitting photos of the donor tree when possible. Thanks

I agree, William. Thomas, that is exactly what I am doing next - turning a bowl with the rim toward the pith. Trying for about a 10" bowl on the 12" lathe.
    And Robert - Friday at 1 PM is my first sailing of the season.

Could be avocado. Most avocado trees I've seen have big leaves. Hard to tell scale in your pics, but looks like it.