Thread: Any experience with "Rhino-Shield" or "Elastometric" paint for Stucco

Any experience with "Rhino-Shield" or "Elastometric" paint for Stucco

This is for some friends, re-painting their house after some stucco repair.

Any advantage for "Rhino-Shield" or "Elastometric" paint for Stucco over other paints? They claim a "lifetime warrantee".

Thanks in advance,

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    Our neighbor used it for her house. So far, so good. They applied it 3-4 years ago. It looks fine. I don't know if there are color limitations. She went with a dark gray base, tan trim and brick red doors.

The crew applying it did a very nice job prepping the house. The "painting" itself took a bit longer than usual. I'd ask the company to give you addresses where the product has been used (with the date applied). I just had our house repainted. I get 9-10 years from a paint job. I suspect we could go a little longer if we used a different color.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

It is kind of hard to get a lifetime warrantee out of a product with a 25 year warrantee, that has only existed for 8 years .

I am interested in seeing if this has a moisture block that does not allow wicked moisture of leaked moisture to escape. A shell could keep problems in if it is a moisture proof sealant.

What color did you use, Shawn?

Blog Entries
    My house has a three color scheme. The outside is a mix of wood and stucco. Our beach neighborhood is not a planned development and most houses are architect designed with not two houses the same. I know this is not the Southern California way. There are two shades of blue with white trim. Our weathering challenges are UV, high humidity, salt exposure from the ocean, and blowing sand. Stucco is the best weathering material here. Medium texture works best. Rough texture traps sand, salt, and water. Smooth texture shows streaking. Blue paint tends to chalk & fade.

image.jpg

We considered the elastameric coating. But like you, we were skeptical of 25 year guarantee from an eight year old company. I plan to watch my neighbors houes over the next several years. If it is holding up, we may go with the elastameric when we need to repaint.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

Nice house Shawn. I have a contemporary house myself.

I like the house, like the colors.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the nice compliments. We love the house as well.
    Shawn

I tried the elastomeric from Home Depot. Too shiny for me.

Blog Entries
    I had our commercial building painted with GE VIP7100 elastomeric waterproof coating 6 years ago. It is holding up well in a hostile environment (2 miles from all the refineries and chemical plants on the Houston ship channel and a concrete company across the street). My only complaint is that even though it looks good, if you touch or lean up against it you get "chalking" on you clothes. Manufacturer says that is normal.

To answer a couple questions on here, Rhino Shield Elastomeric Paint Coating has thousands of successful elastomeric paint installations on Stucco Homes dating back nearly 20 years. It is available in virtually any color as well. There's some more info of it's use on Stucco and a guide to the local dealers on https://www.beststuccopaint.com for those that are interested.

Friend of my wife had it done in the 80's going on 30 years now and still looks good

My sister told me that in her neighborhood the latest rage is flat paint for house exteriors?
    Bill D.

Flat and matte finish are pretty trendy for vehicles these days, wouldn't be much of a surprise to see that carry onto houses.