Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Motor Starter

Remote Motor Starter

I am looking for a remote to turn on and off a Nema size one starter. I need two momentary dry contacts, one normally open the other normally close. Contact rating of 200 milliamps AC. All I want to do is simulate another set of start stop push buttons.
    I have been searching and mostly I find remote systems that use built in switching of the power contacts. That is not what I want because I already have a motor stater with the advantages it offers.

go on Ebay. Allen Bradley, Sq D, etc are all available. New old stock generally in the 30-50 range. Dave

I do not think this is what you are wanting to do, but I have 11 Cutler Hammer momentary contact switches wired to the motor starter on my dust collector.
    They are placed in different locations around the shop.

Chris it is what I want only is wireless remote.

How about a DPDT contactor wired in parallel with the start / stop buttons on motor starter. The remote could control the contactor.

The remote start switch wires up in parallel to the local switch, the remote stop in series with the local stop. 3 wires because there will be a common. No problem, get it cheap on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    The remote start switch wires up in parallel to the local switch, the remote stop in series with the local stop. 3 wires because there will be a common. No problem, get it cheap on ebay.
    Bill, after rereading my post I see I did not make myself clear at all. I am looking for a "wireless" remote control for my starter not another push button station. Sorry!! My Fault.

Never have seen what you're describing but I've been retired a few years so they may be producing something like that. Good luck!

Do you want wireless in addition to a push button station? I've not done it - don't have the need but people have purchased inexpensive wireless controllers used for Christmas lights and such. Use that to energize the starter coil. As you said, it's only 200 ma.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Do you want wireless in addition to a push button station? I've not done it - don't have the need but people have purchased inexpensive wireless controllers used for Christmas lights and such. Use that to energize the starter coil. As you said, it's only 200 ma.
    To have both wireless control and a standard on-off push button with a holding contact, would require the complexity of two delay off relays, one for stop and one for start, that would work. It would require two separate inputs from the wireless controller. If the wireless controller gave the correct inputs the delay off relays would not be necessary. But as of now I have not found such a controller. I have noticed some manufactures,to me, are unclear about the outputs from there controllers. I am not familiar with any cheap "PLC's" available. That route seems to be overkill to me.
    I will keep looking. Right now I need to go cut some white oak.

I'm pretty sure the Long Ranger allows for multiple transmitters. Would that suffice? You can use it to control a 110V or 220V if you get the proper version.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

I think I understand what you're looking for. I purchased a Seco-larm SK-910RB2Q to wirelessly control the motor starter for my cyclone (whenever I get the time to hook it up). You have to purchase the transmitter separately. It has two channels that control two different relays that can be programmed however you want (NO, NC, momentary, latch, etc). It looks like the contacts are rated for 10A at 120VAC (the website only lists the capacity in 24vdc, but the specifications show 120vac). You would need a small transformer, though, to get the voltage down to at least 24vac to power the unit. This should give you the three-wire control you were looking for. I don't see any reason you couldn't use this in conjunction with a push button control station (from wiring diagrams, it looks like you just wire the stop contacts in series and the start contacts in parallel).
    Last edited by Brad Sperr; 04-08-2013 at 12:24 PM.

You didn't say what voltage your starter & machine are. I found a manageable selection of likely inexpensive remotes on eBay. Use this keyword search string:
    220 2 channel wireless remote -12v

I got 27 hits for systems with receivers that operate on AC, mostly under $20. Not all are appropriate but it looks like several with NO/NC contacts would work.
    For 12VDC power there are hundreds.
    Last edited by Mark Burnette; 04-08-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Sperr View Post
    I think I understand what you're looking for. I purchased a Seco-larm SK-910RB2Q to wirelessly control the motor starter for my cyclone (whenever I get the time to hook it up). You have to purchase the transmitter separately. It has two channels that control two different relays that can be programmed however you want (NO, NC, momentary, latch, etc). It looks like the contacts are rated for 10A at 120VAC (the website only lists the capacity in 24vdc, but the specifications show 120vac). You would need a small transformer, though, to get the voltage down to at least 24vac to power the unit. This should give you the three-wire control you were looking for. I don't see any reason you couldn't use this in conjunction with a push button control station (from wiring diagrams, it looks like you just wire the stop contacts in series and the start contacts in parallel).
    Great find Brad! This looks like exactly what he needs. It also looks like exactly what I need and at less than $50 for both the receiver and transmitter on Amazon it beats trying to kludge together a bunch of relays and stuff. The coded communication also makes it a lot less likely that your neighbor's cheap Christmas light remote will turn on your DC.

Brad you win the prize. Thanks to Mark too. I could not find it but you did. It's late, I am going to bed.

And Louisville won to boot. I live in the area.