Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm Plywood, cutting problems on Epilog 40 watt Zing.

6mm Plywood, cutting problems on Epilog 40 watt Zing.

Hi Guys,
    I have bought some very good quality 6mm Birch plywood, but am having great difficulty cutting it, I have used the Epilog setting of 20% speed, 100% power and 500HZ frequency, this setting takes three passes to cut and the wood is very charred and burnt, I have tried my own settings but to no avail.

After trying many settings I am down to 10% speed 100% power and can do it in two passes but the charring is still very bad.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    Peter

Peter I hate to say this but 6mm on a 40 watt is asking it to do a lot.... We cut 3mm all day long at 20 sp 100% pwr and 1500 Hz and no burnt edges or bad output. The biggest issue you have is the glue and what the grade ply you buy and where you buy it.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Thanks for the reply Craig, looks like I bought a very good grade, I bought it from my local hardware shop, whereas in the past I have bought from a large DIY store and their ply was poor quality when rastering but did cut very well. Back to the drawing board.

I agree with Craig, I cut it at speed 8 on 45 watt and it does OK but that's as thick as I can go. It's extra work but you can cut doubles out of 1/8" and glue them up.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I cut 1/4" birch everyday with my mini24 40w. It will cut a hole that you that you can just put a needle through. I use a speed of 8 at 100 power, i have got some plywoods that burn and char. They look almost like it has a styrofoam filler between two veneer layers. Not sure exactly what it is but it burns pretty bad.
    Brian Fithian
    Powerline Tags llc
    Epilog Mini 24 40W
    Corel Draw X5

Quote Originally Posted by brian fithian View Post
    I cut 1/4" birch everyday with my mini24 40w. It will cut a hole that you that you can just put a needle through. I use a speed of 8 at 100 power, i have got some plywoods that burn and char. They look almost like it has a styrofoam filler between two veneer layers. Not sure exactly what it is but it burns pretty bad.
    Brian I can not see cutting anything at a speed less than 20 let alone a speed of 8 and try to make money doing it maybe that is why most of us say it can not be done
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Im cutting 1/4" Bbirch at .7speed, 60p, 100ppi. no charring, very nice edge. Jealous thaqt you guys are cutting at 8-20 speed.
    Be careful not to get plywood with "lumber core", they are god awful to try to cut. A good deal od lumber yards often carry the "lumber core".
    chad
    Chad Fitzgerald
    Hickory Grove Cabinetry
    Custom Woodworking/Laser Engraving
    Laser Pro Spirit 40W
    ShopSabre RC4 CNC
    55x49 cut area
    with 3 1/4 PC Router, 10" Z

I think that Craig has hit the answer.

You don't want "good quality", you want LASER quality ply.

Places do sell "laser ply", but normally charge an arm and a leg for it.
    Timber merchants won't recognise "laser quality", but will sell you Interior Grade ply which has a (non-waterproof) laser friendly glue.

Interior grade is available in all the normal surface finishes - I normally buy B/BB - , so the only thing you miss out on is water resistance.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Fitzgerald View Post
    Im cutting 1/4" Bbirch at .7speed, 60p, 100ppi. no charring, very nice edge. Jealous thaqt you guys are cutting at 8-20 speed.
    Be careful not to get plywood with "lumber core", they are god awful to try to cut. A good deal od lumber yards often carry the "lumber core".
    chad
    Chad no need for jealousy you need to remember we are on Epilogs and the speed thing is different not necessarily faster
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    I think that Craig has hit the answer.

You don't want "good quality", you want LASER quality ply.

Places do sell "laser ply", but normally charge an arm and a leg for it.
    Timber merchants won't recognise "laser quality", but will sell you Interior Grade ply which has a (non-waterproof) laser friendly glue.

Interior grade is available in all the normal surface finishes - I normally buy B/BB - , so the only thing you miss out on is water resistance.
    Thanks Michael, what is B/BB ?

B/BB means (approximately)-

B Only very small knots and marks allowed, no dead knots and few if any repair patches.
    BB Larger knots allowed, but no dead knots. Repair patches allowed (so many per square metre- can't remember the number).

Outside the professional furniture industry and a very few VERY expensive suppliers, grade A faced birch ply does not seem to be available in the UK.
    The best grade in a typical UK DIY barn is usually BB/C (i.e. the reverse side can be pretty bad) and will normally be boiling water proof (phenolic glue - makes a dreadful mess when lasered) or moisture resistant (very hard to get a clean cut).
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

Hi Peter, being down under we don't get the same plys as you can but I find if it is for exterior use forget about it, must be the glue but smoke is the order of the day.
    Dave Cox

etch-it

New Zealand
    Universal PLS 6.60 with rotary attachment
    Corel X6

13. I had a similar problem recently trying to cut 6mm what I thought was top quality Baltic Birch Ply with my 60 watt. It said it was BB and I had similar unusable charred edges. Went to my hardwood distributed bought a true 5x5 panel of BB cuts like a dream.

Mark

I cut 6mm all the time on my 40W epilog. I use 12/100 and do not get too much charring. I would recommend making sure everything is super clean. Check all your mirrors and lenses. If mine stops giving me a good cut I just give a quick clean and am back in action. It is surprising how much residue build-up you get when you are working with wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kelsey View Post
    I cut 6mm all the time on my 40W epilog. I use 12/100 and do not get too much charring. I would recommend making sure everything is super clean. Check all your mirrors and lenses. If mine stops giving me a good cut I just give a quick clean and am back in action. It is surprising how much residue build-up you get when you are working with wood.
    Steve, thanks for the reply, what are your other settings ie: DPI and frequency?