Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woodpeckers Coping Sled

18 36.00%
  • Infinity Professional Coping Sled

18 36.00%
  • Neither - Who needs a sled anyway?

12 24.00%
  • Both - Why buy only one when you can have two at twice the price?

2 4.00%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coping Sled Dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Stew, I was actually responding to Charles's thread about "the best" b/c I thought it was pretty funny/facetious, it wasn't a response to your question. I just figured I'd throw a little back his way....sometimes a little fun is OK, it won't hurt you I think most of the bickering was in good taste

As an aside SMC is still to my knowledge an open forum. Although you may have posted it, once it's up it's everyones thread, and as such we're going to discuss it in the way WE like. Of course if you don't want an open discussion some place like North Korea may be more suitable to you.......that was a joke too man...lighten up Here's the thing, we discuss stuff here, it's what we do if you don't like my recommendations that's OK, you can move to the next one. I'm not trying to brain wash you or anyone else, and my feeling is there is no such thing as too much knowledge.....the opposite of that is entirely different

good luck,
    JeffD

Here Here. Public forum, conversation mutates, tolerance required. I'll certainly try.

Stew,

Wonderful comment about sharing our knowledge and experience. We were doing fine until we were told not to offer unsolicited information. That's sometimes is from which I get the best information in a thread. I often didn't realize a subtle point that is clarified or elaborated, often explaining some phenomena that I just didn't understand. I brag to friends about the congeniality of creekers and my experience on the threads. I enjoy the humorous interplay between obvious friends though, as long as it's also obvious that it's humourously (I think that's a word) facitious in intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Stew, I was actually responding to Charles's thread about "the best" b/c I thought it was pretty funny/facetious, it wasn't a response to your question. I just figured I'd throw a little back his way....sometimes a little fun is OK, it won't hurt you I think most of the bickering was in good taste

As an aside SMC is still to my knowledge an open forum. Although you may have posted it, once it's up it's everyones thread, and as such we're going to discuss it in the way WE like. Of course if you don't want an open discussion some place like North Korea may be more suitable to you.......that was a joke too man...lighten up Here's the thing, we discuss stuff here, it's what we do if you don't like my recommendations that's OK, you can move to the next one. I'm not trying to brain wash you or anyone else, and my feeling is there is no such thing as too much knowledge.....the opposite of that is entirely different

good luck,
    JeffD
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Here Here. Public forum, conversation mutates, tolerance required. I'll certainly try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    Stew,

Wonderful comment about sharing our knowledge and experience. We were doing fine until we were told not to offer unsolicited information. That's sometimes is from which I get the best information in a thread. I often didn't realize a subtle point that is clarified or elaborated, often explaining some phenomena that I just didn't understand. I brag to friends about the congeniality of creekers and my experience on the threads. I enjoy the humorous interplay between obvious friends though, as long as it's also obvious that it's humourously (I think that's a word) facitious in intent.
    Just to be clear... When I said "it's my thread. I should get to decide what is discussed and how", I was referring to the bickering. If you note, my next statements were about keeping it civil.

I do appreciate an open discussion and alternative ideas. In fact, in a previous post I said: "I also do appreciate alternate suggestions but so far, except for the "Aigner", I have already looked at each of them before narrowing my choices to either the Woodpeckers or the Infinity"

Really guys, like I said in the post, all I was trying to do was clarify some things for my poll

I apologize if I stated things in such a way that I upset anyone.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

I dont think there is much to worry about Stew. The simple fact of the matter is, as has been stated, this is just the way conversations work. At the coffee shop, at the barber, at the bar, on and on. But for some reason there are always the people on these forums who want to make the place into some sort of military boot camp in an attempt to head off any "heat". Its a romantic notion, but barring some jack boot heavy handed controls its just gonna happen. Irregardless of how you tried to frame your poll you were going to get every option under the sun and then some. Better to just know that ahead of time and live with it because its just the way life is

If we heavy-handedly jackboot control anything, it should be the use of the word, "irregardless".

While it's not heavy-handed, jack-booted, if someone asks about "a" or "b", common courtesy should limit the comments to the specifics of the question and poll.

Obviously the OP has already determined it is going to "a" or "b" and any other comments are not relevant.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I didn't have the time to read the entire thread, but you may want to check out Marc Spagnuolo's video demo called 'The Coping Cabana'. I can't remember the make and model of the featured item though.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    I didn't have the time to read the entire thread, but you may want to check out Marc Spagnuolo's video demo called 'The Coping Cabana'. I can't remember the make and model of the featured item though.
    I always enjoy Mark's videos. Thank you Michael, I had not seen that one.

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    While it's not heavy-handed, jack-booted, if someone asks about "a" or "b", common courtesy should limit the comments to the specifics of the question and poll.

Obviously the OP has already determined it is going to "a" or "b" and any other comments are not relevant.
    Thank you Ken.

Stew Hagerty

I would like to thank all of you who voted and/or commented. The poll results and the comments (regardless of their tone, level of divergence, temperament, or contentiousness) have helped me to decide, by a narrow margin, to purchase the Infinity sled over the Woodpeckers model. I'll suppose I will have to call Richard & apologize for straying from the WP Red...

Once again, I am sorry if I offended anyone in the course of this thread. That was never my intent.

Thanks again

Stew Hagerty

IT's been almost 5 years, Stew. Did you get the Infinity? If so, How do you like it?

I have built three, and have wanted improvement on each, so am thinking about the same decision you were contemplating.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, what's your budget? The infinity looks like DS to me and a waste of money. I'd keep building them if you're looking at that.

Reliable Copecrafter isn't cheap, but doesn't feel like a complete waste of money to me.

http://www.relcuttools.com/copecrafter.shtml

This is what I use, and it works great. It is a Weaver knock-off. I keep the shaper top and the bottom of this waxed and it slides like its on bearings. It is very fast, as the only clamp is the handle. There is a metal bar on the bottom that rides in the miter slot on the shaper. This one came from Ballew Saw and Tool in Springfield, Mo. If I remember correctly, it was approx. $100, but that was several years ago. The ones with the toggle clamps, both air and manual, would drive me crazy as it is just too many steps. On this one, the same handle you squeeze to clamp the wood is the same handle you use to push the sled through. If you go to the Weaver website, there is a video of it being used. After having it now, it would be very easy to build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bump since I am in the market now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    That was funny and he used a version of
    https://www.eagleamerica.com/product..._-_router_jigs

Does anyone uses one of those and can share their experience?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    I need a coping sled. I thought about building one but, after estimating the cost of toggle clamps, phenolic, aluminum plate, and lexan, I decided I might as well by a good one.
    I dunno; $35 versus $150?

Cope Sled-(1).jpg . Rail and backer small.jpg

Bear in mind that I don't use mine often. If it were an every day tool I would beef things up so commercial may be the way to go.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-08-2019 at 1:35 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler