Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woodpeckers Coping Sled

18 36.00%
  • Infinity Professional Coping Sled

18 36.00%
  • Neither - Who needs a sled anyway?

12 24.00%
  • Both - Why buy only one when you can have two at twice the price?

2 4.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coping Sled Dilemma

I'm a fan of referencing the slot, but this is on a shaper cutter that has a center cutter to trim the end of the tenon. This allows a full cut of the end, and the fence is set up off of the cut end after a cut.

If I was using a router bit or a shaper cutter that did not have a center cutter for the tenon, I'd be inclined to set the fence off of a center bearing and reference the fence.

Also, if I were spending real money and referencing the fence, I would look first at that aigner jig. The other ones look like they would be al little awkward to use. If I wanted to buy a jig to reference the slot, I'd keep an eye out for a used weaver non-pneumatic jig, which would be done with it before the other jigs even got half started.
    Last edited by Stephen Cherry; 04-03-2013 at 7:58 PM.

Well, those other units look nice, for a router table I'd just make a $3 sled with a few destaco clamps, some sticky back sand paper and scraps. Not a big deal. But if you are really in the mood to spend some money, I'd explore other options like:

http://jdltes.com/?page_id=3695, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8EOAvlRrOA

or

http://www.wynmatic.com/model70ca.html, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qpr9WSpSqo

Whats the expression, go big?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    Mine cost me less than $30.
    Ive got to ask for an accounting on this.. There is simply no way if you were to start from no inventory other than wood shop scraps you could build that sled for 30.00. The other sleds posted that used scraps, mine included, didnt include clear lexan/acrylic/etc., knobs, aluminum tubing and track, t nuts, and so on.

Im not nit picking here but when you low-ball a price for a sled using scraps it would seem to assume scraps any hobby or average wood shop would have on hand. Im a full time shop and dont have half of what it would take to put that sled together in stock. We probably have enough MDF scraps to build 20-30 of the sleds I posted.

Care to give an honest tally? I dont feel that turning hand screws/knobs is an efficient way for production so the sled is not on my to-do list but giving readers a fair accounting of the items in their purchasable quantities would be reasonable.

I have the Woodpeck and as mentioned is very slow if you have many cuts but provides for very safe cuts. I too built a kitchen full of cabinets. Probably at least 60 frame/panels. To speed it up I made one of these:

I saw it on a Sommerfeld video. It was very quick but admittedly not as safe as a more elaborate jig.

Mike

I initially bought the Rockler sled and it is "ok". I used this for the first set of cabinets I made and needed it due to my inexperience. I switched to the Sommerfeld tongue and groove system and I don't use any sled any more. I use the push block described by Mike, but larger and I also use the Rockler/Bench Dog push block on top of the push block and work for holding in place. I have not had any problem using this method and lot easier and more accurate than trying to set up a sled. Those Bench Dog push block really have a very good non slip pad and I don't feel I am compromising my safety at all.

Bill

I got the Woodpecker system. It's OK. The clear plastic fence is the only design feature I have a problem with. I've had to make a couple other fences. One bigger to accommodate something I was doing a little different. But that wasn't difficult. It works fine. I don't have problems with the star hold downs. They work, that's my criteria. Solid performer when using.

I prefer to answer the question asked, not offer unsolicited information here. I have owned both but kept the Infiinity. It's better made, has more abilities, and seems to possess better clamping ability than the Woodpeckers. Woodpeckers does make good products, but the Infinity coping sled proves superior to the Woodpeckers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I prefer to answer the question asked, not offer unsolicited information here. I have owned both but kept the Infiinity. It's better made, has more abilities, and seems to possess better clamping ability than the Woodpeckers. Woodpeckers does make good products, but the Infinity coping sled proves superior to the Woodpeckers.
    My experience exactly. I use the infinity pro with a shaper. It's very heavily built and a good deal at that price. Takes a lot of aluminum and knobs and expensive clamps to duplicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Why you gotta go and do something like that? Can you really tell me why? No one needs to see that..

Unreal...

My only issue is I like a full cut on both ends referenced off a stop or rule when I cope so I cut my rails 3/16" long and use a stop. I made my doors referencing off the fence just like that for a long time with no real issue.

Someday,.. someday.. someday.. If I keep saying it maybe one day it will come true..
    LOL Mark, sorry for torturing you with the Martin promotional video.

I also make my pieces long and reference off a stop on the sliding table, however the Aigner holder does work well..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Rod, the Aigner is, indeed, very nice. I have one and it was obviously operator error (89 degrees) when I attached the guide block . . . . which is why i am thinking i might do better referencing off the miter slot . . . or getting an Aigner "finger" fence . . . . or an outboard fence . . . . . or maybe an euro slider . . . . or maybe just shoot myself.
    LOL, those Martin videos make a person realise they should just donate all their present shop machinery as boat anchors..................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Ive got to ask for an accounting on this.. There is simply no way if you were to start from no inventory other than wood shop scraps you could build that sled for 30.00. The other sleds posted that used scraps, mine included, didnt include clear lexan/acrylic/etc., knobs, aluminum tubing and track, t nuts, and so on.

Im not nit picking here but when you low-ball a price for a sled using scraps it would seem to assume scraps any hobby or average wood shop would have on hand. Im a full time shop and dont have half of what it would take to put that sled together in stock. We probably have enough MDF scraps to build 20-30 of the sleds I posted.

Care to give an honest tally? I dont feel that turning hand screws/knobs is an efficient way for production so the sled is not on my to-do list but giving readers a fair accounting of the items in their purchasable quantities would be reasonable.
    WOW... it looks like someone forgot to have their V8 today. I can't believe I am actually entertaining this but I am not too fond of being called a liar - especially in pubic.

First - the OP asked about the Woodpeckers vs the Infinity sled, not how to make one from scrap. He reiterated that he did not want to make one in his post that prompted my reply that is currently in question.

He specifically asked me, if I were to buy, why I would go with the Infinity even though I had a Woodpeckers clone. I gave him my reasons and thought I would add a couple of pics so he could at least get a better look at the Woodpeckers design.

Then I stated: "Mine cost me less than $30." Nowhere did I state that these could be pumped out for that price - let alone from the average hobby woodworker's scrap he has in his shop. This is my hobby and I did have/get most of the material for nothing. I believe that if one can get their point across in ten words there is no need to use twelve. However, adding some clarification, because this is a public forum, may have been warranted.

The tally:

Base- $0 Phenolic keyboard tray
    Brass stand off (x4)- $0 thrown out at my work pace
    Acrylic- $0 scrap from work
    Knobs holding acrylic and bridge- $0 both came from the same jig that we no longer use at work
    36" Incra T track plus- $15.13 from Woodcraft - this price is current listing + 15% discount I received at the time + tax
    3/8" knob (x2)- $4.43 from Woodcraft - current pricing + tax
    1/4" knob (x2)- $3.18 from Woodcraft - current pricing + tax

Total so far: $22.74 + various bolts, washers, etc.= > $30.

But... you got me! The file handles were added later and cost around $3 each. So I guess I did underestimate a little. Next time just ask, "Out of curiosity, how did you make it for that price."

To the OP: Sorry for going off track. Like Rich said, you only asked about one vs the other.

Aigner cope 1.jpgAigner cope 2.jpgAigner cope 3.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Rod, the Aigner is, indeed, very nice. I have one and it was obviously operator error (89 degrees) when I attached the guide block . . . . which is why i am thinking i might do better referencing off the miter slot . . . or getting an Aigner "finger" fence . . . . or an outboard fence . . . . . or maybe an euro slider . . . . or maybe just shoot myself.
    Hi Patrick,
    I don't think we had this when you were at the workshop. The Aigner in standard form is hard to get the backup board square to the workpiece. To do so you have to remove the handle and use a very hard piece of wood while holding everything square to the fence. I ended up drilling a series of holes for screws in mine offset from the handle. This allows you to just position a wide board same thickness as door stock cut square against the fence and screw it in. The only downside to this is you loose adjustability for width.
    This can work without the Aigner shaper fence. Just make the wood guide on the Aigner device longer or add a auxiliary fence to the shaper.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 04-04-2013 at 9:02 AM.

Ste

Here are some photos of the WP clone I made - just to help you reference what it looks like. The one thing that both the Infinity and the WP have over the less expensive ones is that they both ride the fence from above. This protects the base from getting cut by the blade.

Anyway, I do like it a lot but do not think I personally would not have spent what each product demands. Mine cost me less than $30.

Attachment 258929Attachment 258930Attachment 258931Attachment 258932Attachment 258933
    WOW...
    Whoa whoa.. I didn't insinuate you were a liar, if you took it that way I appologize. I was simply wondering what the cost of that jig would be to anyone who had to assign some value to purchasing the parts that are simply not common in the shop. Like knobs at 3-4$ each, sheets of plastic would have to be purchased by the average joe, knurled knobs, all-thread, tubing, track, and so on. Free from work is one thing, leftovers were at one time purchased, and so on.

While that jig may have cost YOU 30 it likely couldnt be built for that. My jig for instance cost me nearly nothing, I bought a huge box of destacos at an auction for peanuts.. Probably less than a buck each. But 25 bucks is likely what the two would cost with some freight. Sticky backed rule was free to me, a vendor shipped me a bunch for replacements on a tool with bad scales and I never used them, they go for 6 bucks or so, I threw in 10.

All I'm saying is the jigs in consideration are pretty cheap at 100+. The OP mentioned building one and the parts costing more than hoped for. Someone considering building one and thinking that jig that is "yours" can be had for 30 bucks is a little miss leading and I'm not insinuating you were intentionally trying to mislead so let's extinguish that fire.

To me, when the parts exceed 30% of the purchase price of something commercially available, and I still have to build it, it goes out of consideration. Thats just me.

It was obvious and understood that "you" likely got all these parts for free or scavenged, good for you. It's great you have access to it.

Sorry for getting you in a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Attachment 258905

Aigner make a nice coping jig, available from several sources.............Rod.
    This is the best (and simplest) coping sled out there. No need to fuss over mitre gauge alignment or anything. Best tool I've used for coping (short of my sliding-table on the shaper).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I prefer to see most posts here as a launch point for a potentially interesting conversation about a topic. For instance "I need a coping sled...." Enough said, lets discuss that. Few issues are ever as clean and dry as A or B, black and white, yes or no. Even the op's pole offers more options than that. Perhaps it's the non conformist in me, perhaps I'm a closet Buddhist, but I prefer to analyze the question and its askers motivations in search of the answer rather than jump to attention military fashion "Sir, yes sir, I'd choose option A sir...."