Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woodpeckers Coping Sled

18 36.00%
  • Infinity Professional Coping Sled

18 36.00%
  • Neither - Who needs a sled anyway?

12 24.00%
  • Both - Why buy only one when you can have two at twice the price?

2 4.00%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coping Sled Dilemma

Question Coping Sled Dilemma

I need a coping sled. I thought about building one but, after estimating the cost of toggle clamps, phenolic, aluminum plate, and lexan, I decided I might as well by a good one.

After some research, I have narrowed it down to 2 candidates. Based on reviews and by the way they look, It is down to either the Woodpeckers Coping Sled:

Woodpeckers Sled.jpg

Or Infinity's Professional Coping Sled:

Infinity Sled.jpg

They both look very well made. They both look like they would work far better than pretty much all of the rest of the coping sleds I've seen. They both have stellar reviews, and they are similar in price.

Therein lies my dilemma. As some of you may know, I am a huge fan of Woodpeckers Tools. However, the Infinity sled looks impressive.

I would love some input from anyone that has or has used one or both of these sleds. Help me decide who will win the Great 2013 Sled Race!!!
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Stew,

I have and have used Infinity's Pro version. I was very impressed with the quality of the product and the results on my project (mission stile blanket chest for my daughter). I'd buy it again in a heart beat. I also looked at Woodpecker's before buying the Infinity. I decided on the Infinity for two reasons, there was a sale going on at the time I bought and the Woodpecker just seemed too bulky for my taste. I too have an affinity toward Woodpecker tools.

Jack

Stew, is this for a router table or to use with a shaper?? I am seeking the same information on what to use with my shaper . . . . and wonder if there is a heavier-duty sled for shapers or if the same sled gets used interchangeably. Sorry if it seems I am hi-jacking . . . . . . .kinda . . . . .

I made my own for my router table....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Stew, is this for a router table or to use with a shaper?? I am seeking the same information on what to use with my shaper . . . . and wonder if there is a heavier-duty sled for shapers or if the same sled gets used interchangeably. Sorry if it seems I am hi-jacking . . . . . . .kinda . . . . .
    Oh, that's alright Patrick. Everyone is welcome here.

I don't have a shaper, so I am looking exclusively for a sled to use with my router table.

Just FYI... I can't see that it should make any difference for which sled to get, but I have an Incra Table with their LS Super System. (Fence & Table Combo #3)

100_1578.jpg

Stew Hagerty

I have the Infinity Pro coping sled, old version. Very good sled. The new version comes with quick action hold down clamps and aluminum clamp blocks. I think I'll purchase the upgrade for my older sled.
    I looked at the Woodpecker's sled. Well made, but I don't like the screw down clamps. When I cut a lot of rail copes, I don't want to screw/unscrew the clamps. The Infinity is quick to change out for then next cope.

"is a heavier-duty sled for shapers or if the same sled "
    Made one out 1/2" jig plate for wood, plastic, or Aluminum.
    Ok for shaper, router or bandsaw.

In my opinion, the first decision to be made is how to reference the sled, to the slot, or to the fence.

I'm a fan of referencing the sled to the slot, because I don't like thee idea of trying to make super accurate adjustments to the fence.

Capture-2.jpg

Aigner make a nice coping jig, available from several sources.............Rod.

I have the Woodpecker sled and wouldn't buy it again. The star knob hold-downs are time consuming to tighten and loosen; if you have a bunch of door rails to cope it's a huge PITA. The next coping sled I buy or make will use quick release toggle hold downs. Between those 2 models, I'd go with the Infinity.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I also looked at both a while back and would have gone with the Infinity mainly because it seemed less bulky. But I ended copying the Woodpeckers because it was easier to build. It works great and I have not had any issues with the star knobs. However, if purchasing I would go with the Infinity.

There are plans available online for the Infinity: http://www.wwgoa.com/articles/projec...e-coping-sled/

Take a look at the Woodhaven offering. I need one now but utilized another method to cut tenons on the ends of rails. The toggle clamp method of holding the work appears to be a fool-proof system and quicker than turning screws. Just my humble opinion.

Only replying because you have an Incra fence. You should buy a sled that references the fence so you can decide how much to take off in each pass with the incra indexing (work your way to zero).

I have the Rockler sled and have been happy-enough with it.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    In my opinion, the first decision to be made is how to reference the sled, to the slot, or to the fence.

I'm a fan of referencing the sled to the slot, because I don't like thee idea of trying to make super accurate adjustments to the fence.
    Well, since I have the Incra table I can do either. I have standard 3/4" T-slot and I also have a super accurately adjustable fence.

Stew Hagerty

I recently had to build a whole kitchen cabinet doors and had to do 96 cope cuts. Built a simple sled (shown below) that rides/references off the fence. Didn't bother adding a second hold-down clamp as I was holding the end of it with one hand. Work like a charm and the cost was very small as I only used the materials I had on hand (knobs and hold-down clamp are borrowed from other jigs).

DSC05327.jpg
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 04-03-2013 at 3:49 PM.