Thread: Grizzly 9860ZX (12 inch Jointer)

Grizzly 9860ZX (12 inch Jointer)

I'm interested in folks impressions/experience with this machine...I have a Delta 8 inch (DJ-20), 1988 vintage, made in Brazil (I believe) that I've retrofitted with a Shelix head...it works very well, and I have no complaints, other than I often find myself wanting the extra width. So, I'm wondering if folks here are happy with the 12 inch Grizzly with spiral head... I'd like the extra width, but don't want to sell a good, reliable machine for one with problems. I assume the Powermatic 12 inch helical jointer is basically the same as the Grizzly, but with different paint...but I could well be wrong about that.
    Thanks for help-
    Izzy
    Last edited by Izzy Charo; 11-09-2019 at 4:19 PM.

I can not speak on the 12” Grizzly, but can say I am probably as happy with my 8” Grizzly jointer as you are with the DJ20.

So I am guessing that the 12” Grizzly would be equally good.

Hopefully you will get some replies from 12” Grizzly jointer owners/users.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I don't have it, but it looks like a solid machine. Grizzly's spiral heads are a little different than Byrd's, but they work probably 95% as well. Honestly Grizzly's quality and popularity seem to be improving every year. They're a great company from my experience with both their customer service and their actual machinery. Powermatic is honestly the same stuff, probably from the same factories. They just work on a dealer business model, which is why they have to charge like 50% more. I've bought and sold various different machines from both companies. Some of them are literally identical, except for the paint color. Both jointers look a little different, but honestly a jointer is a pretty simple machine to begin with, or at least it should be, so they're probably pretty equal.

With all that said, for the 4k+ you're going to spend, definitely look at getting an old "american iron" jointer. You can find 12" and 16" jointers from Northfield, Moak, Crescent, Oliver, and various others for sometimes under 2k. If you need single phase, just make sure it's belt driven and swap the motor for a single phase motor. Those older jointers are built like tanks, and are even easier to adjust/setup than newer ones. Those companies valued simplicity of design and sheer volume of cast iron. It also looks pretty sweet have an old machine like that in your shop

I've had one for 11 years. I originally had a 10" Inca jointer/planer combo which I replaced with separates. After having 10", I couldn't image going narrower. It has been trouble free and wonderful to use. It is my first stop when milling and gives me a near flawless finish. I would give the dust collection a B even though I have it hooked up to a pretty powerful system. If it disappeared, I would replace it with the exact same thing.

It was my first Grizzly machine and my first interaction with Grizzly tech support. When I plugged it in, it wouldn't turn on. I called tech support and they patiently explained to me about the safety interlock. As they we used to say in software, RTFM.

Other Grizzly machines I have are a planer, 19" bandsaw, and heavy duty mortiser. All have been trouble free and have worked very well.

I originally looked at Felder and came away puzzled at what I really got for 3x the price.

A couple years ago I started doing some machining and I transferred the precision to woodworking where my tolerance went from a fraction of an inch to thousandths. The Grizzly machines have delivered just fine.
    Last edited by Jim Barstow; 11-09-2019 at 8:41 PM.