Thread: organized hardware storage

organized hardware storage

I am tired of sorting thru boxes and drawers of misc hw looking for something I need now. I would like build a handy dandy HW organizer as seen in one of woodworking magazines some years ago. The general idea was to build a cabinet box out of 3/4 plywood. Then dado in 3/4 ply vertical partitions which were first pre-cut with dados for accomodating horizontal sliding shelves/drawers.

The shelves/drawers as I recall had 1/4" masonite bottoms that were sized to slide into the dado grooves in the vertical partitions.. Then tack together some light weight drawer boxes to store whatever.........and fasten them to masonite bottoms.

My question--is 1/4" masonite the best choice for drawer bottoms? I am thinking light weight...less than 10 pounds per drawer.

I think it would be alright at about 10lbs. I would make the dados for the drawer bottoms 3/8" deep as opposed to 1/4" deep for some added strength.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

One question... How long and how wide will the drawers be? That has a lot to do with how much weight can be held.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Tom
    Check out this thread on hardware storage. Tom http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...rdware+storage

Blog Entries
    Why not build a cabinet with an egg crate type interior to hold these?parts-bins2724-.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

or a mobile unit along these lines

http://www.e-rackonline.com/store/bi...systems-19535/

Like these?

I think these are what you're describing. All MDF, 10 years old, and some of the drawers have much more than 10 lbs. in them. The only thing I have to be careful about is pulling the drawers all the way out since there are no stops on them.

IMG_0612.JPGIMG_0609.JPG

Blog Entries
    We all have a preference based on what we use and how much of it we keep on hand. For a few bucks apiece and a rack built out of scrap, this has been serving me well for years. This is an older pic. They have filled out nicely.

parts-cab-sm.jpg

We all have that hodge-podge of miscellaneous stuff and I have a few mason jars with that sort of thing in it. For specific hardware that I want when I want it I go to these adjustable compartment Plano boxes.

plano 3700.jpg

P.s. With the exception of a few larger cutters, I keep my router bits in them too.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-07-2013 at 11:42 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use small plastic kitchen containers for smaller hardware such as pocket hole and drywall screws, washers, small nuts/bolts, etc. They are cheap and I can take them to the job easily. Plus they don't break if I drop them. I originally glued a sample of what is inside each to the lid, but most have since come loose. I just set one of what ever is inside on top now and don't worry about it.

Charlie
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you really want to get ambitious:

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=...ilit=parts+bin

You might consider some of those HF metal drawers. They have a lip - just cut a slot on the tablesaw and you have the runners.

Personally I dont like the ones that have a front that isnt full height. Lose storage that way. And I like sometime I can take out and carry around from job to job.