Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocobolo and Maple Coffee Table

Cocobolo and Maple Coffee Table

Cocobolo and Maple Coffee Table

35.5" wide x 18.5" deep x 18" high

I stopped at Hearne Hardwoods one day and found a piece of Big Leaf Maple that was a piece of wood, albeit a bit expensive, just looking for a project. It was only about 24" long, 8"wide and a little over an inch thick. My wife was with me and I asked for her suggestions for what to use it for. I didn't expect her to suggest a coffee table. She also wanted the primary wood to be Cocobolo. Beautiful wood but a REAL challenge to work with.

(Note to self - Don't mix Cocobolo and Maple. Unless you're VERY careful all of the maple will be contaminated and turn a very unattractive yellow.)

I ended up resawing the BL Maple into four slices and tried thickness planing them to an equal size.

(Note to self - Don't try to thickness Big Leaf Maple. The planer LOVES to chew it up.)

The pieces were very close to the same thickness so I veneered them on to some 1/2" hard maple to make four panels, flipped it over and thicknessed them all, just planing off the hard maple. I used clear Watco Danish oil to finish the BL Maple. I kept putting it on until it stopped taking it. It can take a LOT! I cut all of the panels to size.

I made a large 1/2" hard maple panel and glued the BL Maple panels on to it with Cocobolo, half-lapped cross pieces to make the top then framed it with Cocobolo. I sanded the entire top and put a couple of coats of sanding sealer on it.

(Note to self - Don't mix Cocobolo and Maple. Unless you're VERY careful all of the maple will be contaminated and turn a very unattractive yellow....Or did I already say that?)

I sanded off the shellac from the maple and re-applied it - this time being VERY careful not to touch the Cocobolo.

The base of the table was pretty simple but I wanted a single board apron around, I ripped and cross-cut the front and back boards to make the drawers. The drawers go all of the way through and can be opened from either side. I was hoping to have the drawers fit with a look like a single board. When I made the drawers I used a dovetail jig and they weren't quite as square as I thought. Next time I’ll hand cut them. After making flat on the top and bottom I had a gap in the board so I added some maple trim around the drawer openings to fit it. Can you say "Design Feature"? I assembled the base and finished it with shellac, wiping all of the wood down very well with mineral spirits just prior to the shellac.

The maple trim in the drawer openings really changed the look of the table and the top, in comparison, looked too "thick " and "heavy" so I routed out around the BL Maple panels and some of the Cocobolo then added some 3/8" or so Tasmanian Blackwood frames and, not liking the transition to the BL Maple, some 1/8" Cocobolo strips to make each look like its own "picture in a frame". Another “Design Feature”. I sanded the top (yet again) well and added some shellac.

(Note to self - Don't mix Cocobolo and Maple. Unless you're VERY careful all of the maple will be contaminated and turn a very unattractive yellow....You would think I'd learn!)

After re-sanding the top I applied - very carefully - more sanding sealer shellac. I was really getting concerned that I would sand through the veneered BL Maple. I sanded it all down lightly and, because I expect some abuse to the top, used Arm-R-Seal - being careful not to contaminate the maple! Arm-R-Seal is great stuff - except that it never seems to harden on the Cocobolo. I took it off, wiped all of the Cocobolo with mineral spirits then acetone and quickly re-applied the Arm-R-Seal. Still wouldn't harden on the Cocobolo. I cleaned off the Arm-R-Seal, re-sanded the top - being VERY careful not to contaminate the maple (even this old dog can learn a new trick or two!) then applied a few coats of sanding sealer. Now I was REALLY getting concerned that I would sand through the veneered BL Maple. The shellac was going to have to be the final finish. The coats were put on thick to allow for light finish sanding. I should have done this in the first place.

My wife wanted a "shiny" top so a wet-sanded the entire top to 2000 grit and added a couple of coats of paste wax until it looked the way both of us liked. I wish the pictures could do the figured in the maple justice. The depth and chatoyance of the wood is spectacular. The “ridges” change from convex to concave as you look at it. It’s beautiful maple and the Cocobolo contrast is stunning.

This one was a challenge. I was very glad to be able to call it done.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=768

Please post some pictures. Very interested in seeing the end result. I appreciate your learning points.

We want to see the project! Post some pictures. That's a very detailed process. Thanks for sharing.

Lets see some pics please!

IMG_4602.jpgIMG_4608.jpgIMG_4612.jpgIMG_4629.jpgHere are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow!! Sure would like to see an in progress of how you made the top. Thanks for posting

Nice work! Gorgeous quilted maple!

That is one fine looking coffee table! Real nice work Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Albano View Post
    Wow!! Sure would like to see an in progress of how you made the top. Thanks for posting
    Every time I start a project I think of taking pictures through the process. It never seems to happen. All I took this time was a picture of the initial piece of BL Maple.

Maybe the next time (after the current project) I'll shoot pictures of the process.

*** Thanks all for the comments. It was an interesting project ***

...Chuck

VERY NICE!
    I love Cocobolo but usually keep it for small things like squares
    Must have been a real challenge to work with the two woods. But you accepted and the challenge well.
    Remember a bad day in the shop is much better than a good day at the office!

Gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC --> Contribute

Very nice work. I hate to make a negative comment, but those dovetails, in my humble opinion, really offset the fine work you did on the rest of the project. They surely are not up to your skill level on the rest of the work.

Overall, a beauty !!
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    Very nice work. I hate to make a negative comment, but those dovetails, in my humble opinion, really offset the fine work you did on the rest of the project. They surely are not up to your skill level on the rest of the work.

Overall, a beauty !!
    Is your comment because the dovetails look machine made? Otherwise, they look tight and well made to me.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post

Overall, a beauty !!
    I can't entirely disagree. I think this will be the last time I use a dovetail jig to make them. I just don't like the way they turn out. Thanks for the comment though.

Bwah!?

Machine made and regular or not - the drawers fit and there are no gaps.
    You're three for three on this one - it's solid, stylish and SWEET.

Bravo.

Chuck, I love this table! For all the exotic woods out there, that good ol' "made in the USA" BLM is still one of my favorite woods!
    I can relate to your cocobolo bleed problem as well. I use cocobolo next to maple in cribbage boards and it can be a pain. Probably my worst experience with that kind of thing was with ebony next to maple though. I made a cribbage board with strips of maple and ebony lamintated together and every set of five holes was set at an angle so it was a zig zag pattern all the way down. It was nearly impossible to sand that thing without making the maple black!
    As for the finish not hardening on the cocobolo, I was having that problem and asked my wood guy about it. He said that because of the oiliness of the wood, oil based finishes will almost never harden. Water based finishes, he said, will work fine. As alaways, YMMV.
    I actually love the dovetails on the drawers. Maybe it's my OCD, but I love the evenness and uniformity of the dovetails. Nice and tight, and the contrast is great! However, if you really don't like that dovetail jig, I'll send you my mailing address
    Again...great job!