Thread: Anyone here own a Minimax E16? Pro / Cons Used going price?

Anyone here own a Minimax E16? Pro / Cons Used going price?

I have seen a couple post on it. There is a what seem to be a nice used (2007) for sale.

It is a Mini Max E16

Anyone have a ballpark price for a used one?

Pros & Cons of the saw?

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by David Dobbs; 03-29-2013 at 3:07 PM.

I've had my E-16 for about 7 years now. Can't help you with used pricing as I bought it new. In fact, I got one of the last introductory units they offered at a great price. It's a capable saw. I got a 1" blade for it a while back, and finally used it for something other than cutting fire wood. I cut a piece of White Oak that was 4 quarter, planed down to about 13/16, in half. Planed the cut sides to about 5/16, or slightly thinner. I was very pleased with the outcome. Haven't tried cutting veneer with it, but I believe it would do it. 2 1/2 hp motor. The single dust pick up works surprisingly well. I'd still like to build something for directly under the table to try to get what the factory port doesn't, but there really isn't a lot of dust that drops out there. CI wheels are decent also. Could be more bulky, but they do the job just fine. 12" re-saw. The last retail price I saw on it was 1695.00 plus shipping. Last time I looked, I didn't see it on their website, so it may not be currently offered. Maybe Eric will pipe in here and let us know.
    It's not an MM16 by any stretch, but again, it's a very capable saw. Probably all I'll ever need. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim thank you for the reply

Dave

I agree with what Jim said. Lot of personal attachment to the E16 for me. I sold the very first and the very last one to roll off the Centauro production line and put a quite a few into guys' shops. In fact, I regret not buying one, myself. For what it was, it was a fine saw but unfortunately (as we ultimately discovered..), trying to sell a "budget" saw puts you in direct competition with the vast sea of Asian machines out there and of course, there is no way we can compete in that market.

Jim, the 3/4" blade was the "sweet size" for resawing when I was using one. Never personally tried a 1.0" on the E16 but no surprise that it does well with it. If someone was using a carbide, I would advise them no greater than 3/4", just due to the machine's beam strength. Here is a picture for nostalgia's sake...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I agree with what Jim said as well. I purchase mine (along with a CU300 Classic) from Sam in 2008; right at the TOP of the market! My luck: buy high, sell low . . . Thus, I didn't get the great "deal" Jim did, but the saw has performed very well and I've not had a need for greater. The only real "complaint" I have about this saw is that the miter slot is not a standard size (shallow and narrow) so the only miter gauge I've used is the one that came with it which feels skimpy in use. Other than that, good luck! You will likely not be disappointed if it's in good shape.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Jeff, I had one of my owners take the mitre slot gib bar from the E16 and install it on an Incra jig. He might've had to re-tap the gib bar, I'm not sure (never emailed me photos of it). Food for thought.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

95% of my sawing is green wood before it goes to the kiln. I am just loking for something with the taller cutting height. The nice burls I hate the lost of wood from my sawmill.

One of the saws I had asked about has sold. The other I have not got a reply

but the ad was updated on CL so mybe something fishie with it. Oh well the quest goes on.............

thanks for all the great replys .......................Erik I understand the Asian deal that is why I am still looking I could run to Grizzly an be

headed home with one in 4 hours but..

Dave

Hi David,
    Always wanted a Euro BS but couldn't justify the cost new and couldn't find or react fast enough for a used one. I live close to a Grizz outlet and had oogled over the selection on BSs and finaly bought a 21"-531B and have been very satisfied with it. 14 1/2" height has only limited me once, and I resaw a lot of green wood and large stock with it. Their Ultimate 17" series has 16" max cut height but not sure of other features that make cost a bit higher. May be a good 4hr. outing to do a visual. I drove to Bellingham with my 5X10 trailer thinking they could just lay it down for the 1 1/2hr. trip home. The forklift guy chuckled and said there was no way load it on its back, and unloading would be a tricky too. I didn't want to drive home, in the rain, with it upright and it was 5 min. to closing, so I had to have it shipped. Cost the same to ship it 1 1/2hr. to Seattle as it would to anyother location--go figure. Anyway , be prepared to load upright if you make the trip. Good luck, JCB.JCB

A good deal right now on a bandsaw, and would get my attention if I was in the market today, is the Rikon 18" at Woodcraft....1049.99 on sale. 2 1/2 HP motor. It is on the current flyer and I'm sure on their web site. Just remembered, I don't think I detensioned my 1" blade after using it yesterday!!! Yes Eric, the 1" is on the large size for this saw. 3/4" is a better fit. I got this blade cheap and just wanted to see how it would work. Not disappointed in it, but it is tough to tension. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Eric, I didn't make the comment yesterday, but that is a great picture!!! One can certainly see the heritage right up the line. And great idea about using the factory miter bar on a different miter jig. Mine hasn't been out of the plastic storage case since I first saw it! Jim.