Thread: Moving my Wood Shop.............

Moving my Wood Shop.............

Hey all....

I meant to post this here to let you guys and gals know what I was up to and why I haven't posted in a while. The LOML and I just closed on a new home and I have been busy getting a basement shop put together. I picked up the supplies on Saturday, and day one started early Monday Morning. I had to have the entire shop framed up before my electrician friends came over at 5:00 p.m. on Monday so I really had to move. I was so sore last night, but I felt great about what was accomplished. I will start hanging the OSB today, and finish up the electric. We got the sub panel in yesterday, we just have to get the juice to it today. Couldn't pull the meter yesterday because of rain

A special thanks to Terry Hatfield and Cian Perez for posting my images for me. Cian has made a page for me on his site Here. Just arrow down the page to see yesterday's progress. Also, I'd like to thank Alan Turner for taking time on the phone with me to give me some advice about what to do when building a basement shop.

Thanks for looking!
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

Hope it all continues to go smoothly!
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

John,

Great to hear that your shop is coming together! I bet you can't wait to get in it!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Yeah, it's a miserable and sore amount of work now John, but you'll be glad afterward. Having the luxury of planning out the space, doing the wall and electrical work, painting the floor, and planning the lighting before moving in your gear makes life a whole lot more pleasant. I still remember when I was "allowed" to expand my shop to the full bassement. Moving stuff back and forth several times to paint, wire, and put up walls was a real drag. Starting with a clean slate is much moree pleasant and probably yields a much better organized and efficient result. Congratulations.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

John--- that's going to be one nce shop, well worth the labor!!! Looks like lots of room too.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

John,

Boy, oh boy, looks like you're gonna have some fun. You've already done a lot of work in one day. I suspect your body knows that, but it will be worth it.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the new shop. Almost like a painter with a blank canvas. Good for you!

Oh...and belated Happy Birthday wishes!

Mike

John,

You're going to have a NICE shop!!!

I couldn't tell if you used CCA 2x4 on the bottom sill plates........I take it the basement it good and dry?? It may not matter as I've seen walls put up both ways........just curious.

That bench of your's is gonna look soooooo good in that shop!! Well done!

Thanks guys for the very kind words, and for the encouragement. I just got in from day two's activities. I should have pics posted tomorrow of the results. It's starting to come together nicely. I'll keep ya updated.

Thanks Again,
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."