Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baileigh Industrial "build us a box" Woodworking Contest, Win $1,600 !!!!!!

Very impressive work so far! Just amazing.

Blog Entries
    You'rebuilding one? I'm jealous, I want to get started on one soon. What a great tool to have in the arsenal.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Does anyone at Baileigh smoke cigars?

I ask this in case I have time to complete this as a humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    You'rebuilding one? I'm jealous, I want to get started on one soon. What a great tool to have in the arsenal.
    Yep! I just have to finish assembling the last few parts that I made last week. I hope to have it done next weekend and plan on posting pictures on the forum once completed. I took a class at the American School of French Marquetry after talking with Paul and I am looking forward in working on some projects on my own.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Blog Entries
    I got to work on his first hand, I really enjoy this device. He's back in Canada so if I want to use one now, I'm going to have to build it. How long did it take you to build yours? Be sure you PM me when you post it.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-17-2013 at 2:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    OK, more pics. This is the box all clamped up. Next I'll be rounding over the corners with the round over bit from hell. This thing is frightening to use so I take a LOT of small cuts little by little. Below are the pieces for the inlaid corners and the pieces it takes to do it. This is a technique I learned here on SMC. So now you can see where I'm going with it. The lid is almost done & I need to build the base next. Finish is my biggest challenge, I'll need the last 2 weeks to do it. With only 30 days, I have to go with what I know.
    box contest.jpgbit.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-17-2013 at 7:24 PM.

7. That is lookin slick man
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

Bill what kinds of wood are you using for your project.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Bill that's a very neat design in the corners. Can you post some higher-resolution photos? I would love to see more detail.

Blog Entries
    Thanks very much.
    The woods are Tropical Walnut, (very) curly Koa, burl Maple and hard Maple. The logo is Holly, ebony, canary and purple hart.
    So far I've used my phone for pics, I'll take some better ones with my camera if I can get the 2 in the same room, I use my camera at work so I rarely remember to bring it home. Tomorrow night I'll build the base and should have a better idea of what the final look will be. I really hope I can be on to finish next week.
    Here is a pic of one I did before, it's the opposite orientation of the one on this project.

Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-18-2013 at 4:43 AM.

I have a lot of sanding and finishing yet to do, but construction is pretty much done.

S6305941.jpg S6305942.jpg S6305952.jpg

I had picked out some unfinished, industrial-looking exposed hinges for this project, but because of the compound curves in the top these could not simply be screwed on. I was planning to machine some bosses into the top and back, but I decided that would spoil the looks, so switched to hidden hinges. To get the top to lift clear of the curved back before opening, I used a type of hinge often seen on automobile trunk lids. I went through a few iterations of test mules before getting the geometry correct. I would liked to have carved the hinge arms for some extra detail, but I am running out of time. I have already set aside two other projects and I need to get back at them. As is, they do add a bit of that industrial look to them in my opinion. I did spend more time on them than anticipated. You might not be able to see that the wood arms have brass tubing inserts at the pivots to act as bushings.

S6305949.jpg S6305950.jpg S6305951.jpg S6305947.jpg

Blog Entries
    Now those are cool!!! Your box is fantastic! I may have to try a hinge like that on a future humidor some day. I have to say, you're really making this a fantastic challenge as are the others we see posted. The hinge really puts it over the top, congratulations on a job very well done.

13. those hinges are really neat, probably my favorite part of that design I'm going to have to keep linkages like that in mind for future projects.

Back out to the shop this afternoon, so hopefully will have a more box-like box in the next day or two here.

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to see some of the other entries. I worry about those of you keeping it a secret. Kathy, are you still in the mix?

Thanks Bill for the update on the woods.

Dick those hinges are neat...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006