Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Baileigh Industrial "build us a box" Woodworking Contest, Win $1,600 !!!!!!

1. Not entirely sure I'll have time to finish this, but figured I'd go ahead and get started and see how far I can go. The box itself wont take too long, but I still have to build the overly complex locking mechanism that'll go with it...

baileighBox_wip6b.jpg

2. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mitman View Post
    Not entirely sure I'll have time to finish this, but figured I'd go ahead and get started and see how far I can go. The box itself wont take too long, but I still have to build the overly complex locking mechanism that'll go with it...

baileighBox_wip6b.jpg
    That looks great!
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

This looks like fun and I am all in!

I could use a box for my dado set. I'm thinking what says "industrial" better than diamond plate - custom Baileigh diamond plate?

box top.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have access to a laser but since it's a woodworking contest, I figured the challenge of cutting out the logo by hand and getting a learning experience from my friend Paul on Marquetry was a win in itself, he really is a master of Marquetry. Box is coming along beautifully, I have some veneer in the vacuum press flattening out so I can begin assembly. As I said before, this will bring out some heavy hitters. Looking good guys.

All cut by hand on an 18th century Chevalet. (Sorry about the dusty camera lens.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-11-2013 at 1:17 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I have access to a laser but since it's a woodworking contest, I figured the challenge of cutting out the logo by hand and getting a learning experience from my friend Paul on Marquetry was a win in itself, he really is a master of Marquetry. Box is coming along beautifully, I have some veneer in the vacuum press flattening out so I can begin assembly. As I said before, this will bring out some heavy hitters. Looking good guys.

All cut by hand on an 18th century Chevalet. (Sorry about the dusty camera lens.)
    Holy Crap!
    Shane Henderson
    Baileigh Industrial Woodworking
    920-482-3220
    shenderson@baileighindustrial.com

Visit our sponsored forum here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdis...2-Baileigh-Inc

Blog Entries
    LMAO, thanks. That's just the beginning, there are some other cool features I'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Baileigh Inc View Post
    Holy Crap!
    And you thought Leigh was kidding in post #20?
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That's what I'm talking about. That is incredible. And the inlay with the saw blade is a really nice, subtle touch. Holy crap is right!

10. Looking really nice Bill - the sawblade and drop shadow are a great touch.

Going to be a couple days before I get back out to the shop, so figured I'd post the small update since then, walls are on now, so when I get back, will dive into the mechanism that ties it all together

baileighBox_wip7b.jpg

Blog Entries
    A labyrinth, what a great idea. I use to have one of those, used it all the time.

12. Yep - been wanting to try this general idea for awhile now, and the contest is a great excuse to actually get started. Plan is the bb will have to be in the goal position (which will be bottom center once I add in the latch mechanism) in order for the latch to be functional, anywhere else and it will remain locked.

Awesome works in progress!

I was still working on design, and got inspired to use the logo shape as the sides of a square box. Looking carefully, the sides of the logo have a subtle curve to them. It's obvious that the top and bottom are curved. This means that a box with logo-shaped sides would have no flat panels, and top and bottom would be compound curves. Not something that I've done before, but what the heck.

The attached rendering is crude and incomplete, but you probably get the idea.

box2.jpg

Blog Entries
    Does anyone at Baileigh smoke cigars?
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 04-11-2013 at 8:34 PM.

Nice work guys, this is going to be an interesting contest.
    Bill the saw blade is beautiful.