Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Plethora of Chisels!

Sounds like you've got things well under control, Maurice; but I don't see "plethora" yet, you'll need to buy a lot more and a lot more variety of types before reaching that stage. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Ungaro View Post
    So, I was thinking, do I see which set I love the most, and sell off what I don't when it hit me that I should keep both sets and sell off most of the odd mismatched Greenleighs, Pextos, etc., in addition to the Sheffield made set of Marples Blue Chips that I started out with a dozen years ago.
    Sell what you don't use on a weekly basis to someone who will, for a reasonable price :P.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Like you, I have a lot of oddball older chisels. I have trouble selling them, though... [for the price I think they're worth]
    *cough, cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Q Brown View Post
    Sell what you don't use on a weekly basis to someone who will, for a reasonable price :P.

*cough, cough*
    OH! ..no no....what I meant was more along the lines of I have trouble parting with them. Even putting them up for sale at all. They're all different enough that I like having them, but it seems like 95% of them are 1/2, 3/4 or 1", sizes I really don't need more of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Curtis View Post
    Sounds like you've got things well under control, Maurice; but I don't see "plethora" yet, you'll need to buy a lot more and a lot more variety of types before reaching that stage. Sorry.
    Jack, I didn't even mention the non matched sets laying about!
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    dovetail paring chisels like Derek shows on his site.
    derek who?
    address please
    thanks
    Carpe Lignum

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    derek who?
    address please
    thanks
    Derek Cohen

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ailchisel.html

Is the post on dovetail chisel making.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/

For the home page with a lot more.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    OH! ..no no....what I meant was more along the lines of I have trouble parting with them. Even putting them up for sale at all. They're all different enough that I like having them
    Same here, most of the time the chisel is of more use to me than the money someone would pay for it.

One time I sold a Stanley 1" 750. It got me all of $15. If the chisel was still here it would have likely been fixed up and used occasionally even though there are a few other 1" chisels in the shop.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-28-2013 at 1:09 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One time I sold a Stanley 1" 750. It got me all of $15. If the chisel was still here it would have likely been fixed up and used occasionally even though there are a few other 1" chisels in the shop.

jtk
    I have a LN 1" bevel edge chisel in a chisel roll, but I keep one of my 1" 750's on my bench at all times. There is something about the feel and balance of them that I really like. I'm talking about the old 750's, not the new one's.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 03-28-2013 at 8:24 AM.

I guess I'm a hoarder. Preparing to move, I just packed a 16 x 13 x 13 box full to the brim of chisels, and then found more.

Hi, my name is Maurice, and I have a tool problem!
    Maurice

Hi Maurice!

My name is Steve, send me your tools, it's no problem! ;-)

Oh, yeah, boxes of chisels and yet I continue to buy more, albeit only 1 or 6 at a time. Here's my latest, 24mm kiku-jirushi dragon:
    Attached Images Attached Images

You know.... Chisels are really like clamps: one can never have enough!
    Maurice

Don't worry Todd. They make bigger boxes for these special problems. DAMHIKT. .

Yep. Although, I found my wife's wine bottle used cork stash while packing the other day, so the chisels are getting a bigger box and her corks will get this box.