Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Plethora of Chisels!

A Plethora of Chisels!

Just sent off a money order to a fellow Creeker for the purchase is a LN 5 chisel set (with leather roll). A few months ago, I took advantage of Highland Hardware's Thanksgiving sale and picked up an 8 chisel set of new Stanley 750s. Of course, I'm an opportunist when it comes to tool purchases (I know.....this leads to hording). So, I was thinking, do I see which set I love the most, and sell off what I don't when it hit me that I should keep both sets and sell off most of the odd mismatched Greenleighs, Pextos, etc., in addition to the Sheffield made set of Marples Blue Chips that I started out with a dozen years ago.

Check the Classified section soon!
    Maurice

Ditch the blue chips unless you want to make them house chisels or you have sentimentality for them. The older sheffield blue chips are often nicely ground, but their virtues pretty much stop there compared to any chisel of the vintages you mentioned. They are, though, a decent set of chisels to have if your upper limit is $50 or whatever.

David,
    Make no bones about it, the Blue Chips are going! The Barr 2" framing chisel stays.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 03-27-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Maurice

Like you, I have a lot of oddball older chisels. I have trouble selling them, though. I got a set of the blue chips and sold them. At a reasonable price, I'd be much happier with them than a lot of what is passed off now with fat sides. The sheffield versions had nice gradual edges until irwin got a hold of the decision making.

Blog Entries
    Before getting rid of anything you might consider grinding some of the spares in to skew chisels or fish tail chisels.

You also may want to consider having sets with different bevel angles. You may also want to grind the sides on a few to make dovetail paring chisels like Derek shows on his site.

Just some thoughts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My biggest problem with the Blue Chips is that they are metric.

I built two m&t rocking chairs at Homestead Heritage using blue chip bevel edge chisels.
    Check Paul Sellers video about chopping mortises with bevel edge chisels.

Having said that, I use LN bevel edge chisels mixed with Stanley 750"s.
    I am keeping my Blue Chips though.

Sell hand tools??? I though only dealers did that

JeffD

It's a little-known fact that the Vikings lay the fallen warrior in his boat, with his weapons below as ballast.

When the ship was set afire to signal the Valkyries from Valhalla,
    all the steel in the hold would form a perfect ingot for the blacksmiths of Nidavallir.

The steel smelted in this manner, seared by the soul of the warrior made for the keenest edge.
    I'm openly suspicious of modern chisel makers that dare turn Yugos and toasters into tools.
    The old ways are best.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 03-27-2013 at 3:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    It's a little-known fact that the Vikings lay the fallen warrior in his boat, with his weapons below as ballast.

all the steel in the hold would form a perfect ingot for the blacksmiths of Nidavallir.

The steel smelted in this manner, seared by the soul of the warrior made for the keenest edge.
    I'm openly suspicious of modern chisel makers that dare turn Yugos and toasters into tools.
    The old ways are best.
    Even if the Yugo's become scrap because it caught on fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post

The old ways are best.
    It is also said that the Viking blacksmiths used the powdered bones of their ancestors and animals such as bears to provide additional carbon to the steel used in the manufacture of their best swords. A whole lot more interesting than just using charcoal, for sure.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Before getting rid of anything you might consider grinding some of the spares in to skew chisels or fish tail chisels.

You also may want to consider having sets with different bevel angles. You may also want to grind the sides on a few to make dovetail paring chisels like Derek shows on his site.

Just some thoughts.

jtk
    Good thoughts. I ground a couple of my old "junk" chisels into fishtails and a dovetail.

Of course, disposing of old tools is against my religion.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

you've got eight of the Stanleys - that's 3 more than the set of LN; so you should keep those. I'll take those LN's off your hands so you don't have to deal with 'em. :P
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    My biggest problem with the Blue Chips is that they are metric.
    I just set my marking gauge to the chisel when marking mortises. I'd have to measure most of my chisels in order to know for sure which are metric and which are imperial.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    you've got eight of the Stanleys - that's 3 more than the set of LN; so you should keep those. I'll take those LN's off your hands so you don't have to deal with 'em. :P
    That's what the great thing about Creekers is: They are always willing to help out & pull more than their fair share (of your stash, that is!).
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

Just some thoughts.

jtk
    Jim, the fishtails are a nice project idea! I'll add it to my list!!
    Maurice