Thread: Celtic Cross Re Draw

Celtic Cross Re Draw

A design redraw... Looks nice after i did a nice finish..... Its easy to do redraws. Just takes practice and patience......

Took the image shown then converted it to a larger version... Did this with Corel Draw

Image on the left is the completed version. Image that on the left on on a white beige carpet is the one that i copied.....

I do not consider it copying if i took the time to redraw it with software. :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-27-2013 at 10:27 AM.
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

If you're at all interested in Celtic knotwork, you should get George Bain's book, _Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction_. Aidan Meehan's newer books are also quite good.

Tool used doesn't affect whether or no it's copying though.

Hi all
    This might appear stupid but I don’t understand this
    do you need permission to use Celtic art being from Ireland we have lots of it

Probably not but he downloaded it from a site that may own that particular art and doesn't want to share it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Frank barry View Post
    Hi all
    This might appear stupid but I don’t understand this
    do you need permission to use Celtic art being from Ireland we have lots of it
    If you didn't create it from scratch, you most likely don't have the rights to use it. You cannot download photos from the internet, trace, modify, or copy them in any way to create a product for sale. It's a hard reality to face, but the basic rule is that if you didn't create it from scratch, then you're violating someone's rights unless they gave you permission.

In many cases, it's a simple as contacting the rightful owner and asking for permission. Some people will say "Sure, no problem, glad you liked it", while others aren't as happy to share.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

6. Jesse

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Albert Einstein

Also

My product was never for sale.... It is used a ornament..... A public display of art..

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries
    Jesse,

If your interested in celtic designs you might want to visit http://www.clanbadge.com/tutorial.htm and view the tutorial. Very neat designs

Ron Thompson
    Last edited by Ron Thompson; 04-11-2013 at 4:18 PM.
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

If anyone has not tried to get official "Coat of Arms" I think you may be surprized by how closely guarded some thing are....
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

A good example of how complicated copyright law is, is the CorelDraw $1million art contest fiasco. The drawing selected to win used CD to replicate a photograph of a Native American in full warrior headdress. The drawing itself showed an incredible ability to use CD, it was fantastic, and it was difficult to tell the difference from the photograph. But the image itself, because it was reproduced exactly, is what lost the artist the award, the lawsuit, and produced a PR nightmare for Corel. Not to say that using the image in their packaging was a wise decision either.

So the basic rule of thumb, as I see it, is: if you've seen it, someone created it, and it's protected. Now that's not to so say I won't decorate my home with some of this wonderful art.

-bc
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Lots of interesting stories about this stuff. R. Crumb's "keep on truckin" only made a few dollars for him but has got to be one of the mostly widely copied drawings ever. The IRS came after him for taxes on money he never got.

Hey guy's, Firstly: I appreciate all the advice and concern .. Thank u for the advice. Sorry but i felt i had to post this.. It is in reference to my project and the current trend on talking about legal matters. I have also copy and pasted a section of the Announcements on sawmill creek in reference to talking about legal matters and going off topic..

I am not a moderator... But please keep this thread on topic... I have copy and pasted a section in terms of rule's and expectations. If u have any questions in the future about any violation of local or federal law's please contact a moderator. It was not my intention to start a legal thread about copyright and litigation.
    I was using a image ""also other image's"" as inspiration.... I was trying to benefit SawMillCreek with a project that i had done.

Sawmill creek is a great place for information.. But when threads go off topic, It could give other people the wrong idea..

Remember,, This is SawmillCreek.... Not LawMillCreek "

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/announcement.php?f=3&a=16

Before You Rant Read This December 20th, 2010

"It is the intent of SMC to permit the airing of concerns regarding the suitability of a particular product, or the quality or sufficiency of customer service provided by a vendor in any particular instance provided there is not a breach of contract component involved.

However, these threads often deteriorate into a "piling on" and develop a very negative tone. That doesn't assist other viewers in assessing the overall advisability of whether to buy this particular product, nor to assess the overall customer service provided by that manufacturer/vendor.

In order to be fair to the many vendors that provide woodworking products, the following policies will be in force:
    The original poster must have first contacted the manufacturer/vendor and have attempted a solution PRIOR to posting the thread.
    The original poster should provide factual details of the problem, and details of efforts that have been made with the manufacturer/vendor to rectify the problem.
    Subsequent posts must be limited to suggestions to the original poster to assist in rectifying the problem - not to pile on because you had similar problems.

SMC is a woodworking forum. The intended purpose is to provide a community in which useful information may be shared among the members. Threads that do not achieve that purpose will be locked, or removed if necessary." SawMill Creek is not a Court of Law and we are not in a position to judge a breach of contract case here, therefore SawMill Creek will not become a stage or a courtroom for a legal dispute between two or more parties, it just isn't our mission.