Thread: Belt Buckle

Belt Buckle

Made belt buckle blanks out of pallet boards.... I sanded the bottom so it was a curved . Then sanded edges to be decorative. Slapped it in laser. After it was done i finished with pour on epoxy.

Was able to put some epoxy resin and a few screws on back to make the buckle stay on back. Something a Rodeo clown could put to the test as far as durability..

Just thought i would post...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Nice buckle but it just isn't right teasing those of us who have never been, with the Sturgis logo

Its nice to have another belt buckle designer and fabricators among us though!

Logo is a copyright at the moment. Not mush longer though.... Rest assured i can sell my Sturgis stuff this summer . Thank god its being thrown out.

Not to stir any previously boiling pot water. But the Sturgis Trademark is soon to be public domain...

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Very nice work!

The buckles I used to make were all made from stainless steel and welded. It was a very long time ago and we didn't even think about wooden buckles in those days. I still have a box of belt buckle material stored in my barn and a brand new welder on order with a tig torch so I may be able to make buckles again soon
    I can envision some cermark engraving work this time and possibly adding some wood to my designs. Thanks for sharing the pics and you ideas.

I would love to see some of those metal belt buckles.... If i knew how to weld it would be nice to cut some blanks and use Cermark on those bad boys.............

Jesse,

A couple pictures below of stainless buckles.
    The first picture shows the backside of a buckle. A little dusty as it has been on the shelf for a long time.

The two top buckles are mine.
    The bottom two belonged to my Dad. The silver dollar was his birth year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-24-2013 at 9:07 AM.

Thank u Keith. Gave me some good idea's.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Jesse,

A couple pictures below of stainless buckles.
    The first picture shows the backside of a buckle. A little dusty as it has been on the shelf for a long time.

The two top buckles are mine.
    The bottom two belonged to my Dad. The silver dollar was his birth year.
    Where I use to work all the Boiler Makers had homemade SS belt buckles, it seemed like it was a right of passage.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

You can buy these from Tandy..Just screw em on the back..
    BuckHard.jpg
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Joe De Medeiros View Post
    Where I use to work all the Boiler Makers had homemade SS belt buckles, it seemed like it was a right of passage.
    When I was young I worked Nuclear Power Plant construction projects and having a custom stainless buckle was a sign of the industry (being a Nuke) in those days. The buckle with the K in the middle I have worn almost continuously for close to 40 years. I was fortunate to be able to attend a Kodak Radiographic Interpretation seminar in Rochester New York back in the early 80's and I shot a couple xrays of my buckle, found a small crack in one of the welds but it has never been a problem

Got my new Miller welder yesterday and it has stick, mig and tig capability so all I need is a bottle of pure argon to start making buckles and jewelry.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Got my new Miller welder yesterday and it has stick, mig and tig capability so all I need is a bottle of pure argon to start making buckles and jewelry.
    Looking forward to the review on this one... I've been putting off that purchase for many years now, but I can't keep asking friends if I want to keep them as such It's just like soldering, right? :-p
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan,

I wil be busy writing reviews for weeks given my recent purchasing activity. I have been upgrading and adding capability to my shop lately because I am now working for myself again full time. Next week (MAYBE) I will purchase a bottle of pure argon for my tig torch. Today I hope to try out the stick mode and then install the mig torch and connect the argon/co2 gas.

Two years ago I purchased a Miller Bobcat 250 welder/generator and a road trailer.
    I added a Baileigh 7" by 10.25" metal cutting horizontal band saw two weeks ago.
    I added a Baileigh magnetic 48" box and pan brake bender two weeks ago.
    I added a Miller Extreme 625 Plasma Torch three weeks ago.
    Just got the Miller Multimatic 200 so I sold my Hobart and probably will dispose of my old Miller buzz box.

I am stepping up my marketing of exterior building signs and really need to invest in better equipment so I can continue to produce my own sign hangers. Got my fingers crossed in hopes that I can stay healthy and get some use from the new machines for many years to come.

I'm a big fan of Miller equipment, we used it exclusively back in the day when I worked for Virginia Power.

I miss not being able to make belt buckles and other goodies that I used to do simply because I enjoyed the projects. When I was employed by VEPCO I was able to get gate passes for almost anything in the scrap yard so I have a box full of nuclear quality belt buckle material that has been in my barn for 30 years. Now I need to seriously consider what I can make for my new grand daughter that she will treasure when I'm gone. My Dad made a bracelet from twisted/weaved inconel when he was young that one of my daughters has now. The bracelet was place on a crane track which flattened it before it was bent into a circle to fit a woman's wrist.