Thread: tailstock creeping problem Jet 1236

tailstock creeping problem Jet 1236

Hi all been a long time for me to post on this site.
    Well here it is I have a 1236 Jet lathe that the tailstock is creeping and I remember that someone used to make a square replacement clamp that worked better then the round one.
    For the life of me I cant find one.
    I did find the post on hear but that was dated 2003.
    Anyone have a source?
    Thanks
    Brad

Brad I had that problem with my LA200 lathe, the area that the round disk contacts the ways is very small, so I made a rectangular plate and that worked well.

It is very easy to make that piece yourself, just measure the disk that is on your lathe now, for width and thickness, then go and get a small piece of flat mild steel that is the same or a bit larger than your measurements.

Make the piece the same width if it isn't, as the round disk is, mark carefully the center and drill a hole through the plate and assemble to the tailstock, all done.

Two pictures here that show what I made, HTH

new plate under tailstock.jpg replacement plate under tailstock.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 03-22-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Have fun and take care

The other thing you might try is to reach under the tailstock and tighten up the nut that holds the round thing in place. Mine would loosen over time so I would have to tighten it up every few uses....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I bought these: http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart....category_id=64
    About six months ago. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    I bought these: http://monster-lathe-tools.com/cart....category_id=64
    About six months ago. Problem solved!
    That is what I am looking for but thats for a MINI lathe
    the Jet 1236 is a full size lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    The other thing you might try is to reach under the tailstock and tighten up the nut that holds the round thing in place. Mine would loosen over time so I would have to tighten it up every few uses....
    Yep done that to

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Brad I had that problem with my LA200 lathe, the area that the round disk contacts the ways is very small, so I made a rectangular plate and that worked well.

It is very easy to make that piece yourself, just measure the disk that is on your lathe now, for width and thickness, then go and get a small piece of flat mild steel that is the same or a bit larger than your measurements.

Make the piece the same width if it isn't, as the round disk is, mark carefully the center and drill a hole through the plate and assemble to the tailstock, all done.

Two pictures here that show what I made, HTH

new plate under tailstock.jpg replacement plate under tailstock.jpg
    I may do this just was hoping for a buy it now fix. Thanks

you have probably already done this but ya might clean your ways......i use wd-40

You could also have a wear problem on whatever is attached to the cam lock? for locking tailstock down.. 3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg Notice the wear on the eyebolt I'm using, but what is suprising is the wear on the can locks? seen in the last 2 pictures..... So far I don't have a solution to correct it other than put grease on the wear point and hope that stops the wear........ Jerry (in Tucson)

This is the system I have now
    IMG_0528.jpgIMG_0529.jpgIMG_0530.jpg

On the Monster Tools site, they sell square nuts (just like the ones for the mini-lathes) that they say are to hold their hollowing rig to the bed. That should be perfect to replace the ones on your headstock (I would think). They sell them individually. Can always give 'em a call or send an email inquirey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Gilfor View Post
    On the Monster Tools site, they sell square nuts (just like the ones for the mini-lathes) that they say are to hold their hollowing rig to the bed. That should be perfect to replace the ones on your headstock (I would think). They sell them individually. Can always give 'em a call or send an email inquirey.
    In Fact I have been looking at what they have to do my "tailstock" I would have to drill out one of theres to make it work I went and ordered one I think the worst case will be I have to drill it out. I will post a photo after I get it in place or not LOL
    Thanks All
    Last edited by Brad Vaughn; 03-22-2013 at 5:10 PM.

Jerry, copper-slip grease would probably work better than normal grease (by normal I think you know what I mean) it works great in jobs like what you need.

Jerry, you might take the cam shafts to your local welder and see if he will weld some "hard-faceing" on the wear spots. You or the welder will have to grind the area smooth again, but if you keep it lubed it will wear forever.

Phil Harris