Thread: Router Guide Bushings

Red face Router Guide Bushings

I am relatively new to this site and have learned a great deal by following the various threads. I am relatively new to woodworking and have acquired a 10 inch LH Delta Unisaw and a Makita 3612BR router for a new shop I am trying to set up on a budget. My first project involves setting up a new router table. In order to best use my router to build the table, it appears that I will need to obtain a new base plate and router guide bushings. I have located a compatible base plate that accepts PC router guide bushings and am waiting for it to arrive. I understand that I will need to obtain a set of router guide bushings and am shopping for those at the present time. Since I am on a budget I try to make my purchases as inexpensive as possible. My question is regarding PC router guide bushings. What is my least expensive source for decent quality guide bushings? I don't want to obtain cheap parts that will not do an effective job but I also don't want to over-spend needlessly. Any help would be appreciated by the Newbie on a Budget!

Blog Entries
    I have the Freud guide bushing set and couldn't be happier. 51GBSKN1ECL._SY300_.jpg I think Amazon has it for $47.17. The bushings are solid brass and are high quality. The Freud set will fit most routers and base plates.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A decent starter template set is the Shop Fox. At least the set I have is within tolerances. Not the smoothest finish, but for the price they work just fine. Some reviews say they are off in their tolerances, so I can't attest to their quality control. But mine are fine. $28.95 from amazon and free shipping.
    http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3117...pr_product_top

Woodcraft has a set on sale almost all the time for about $20 in our local store (central NC.) I have a set of Woodcraft's, Woodline's, and Freud, along with some loose PC ones. All three sets are brass, while the PC ones are steel. The Freud set uses a metric thread, while the others all use standard threads. Biggest thing this means is nuts from Freud set won't work with any of the others.

Interested in why you think you need the guide bushings right away? Are you going to do a lot of pattern work? If you are going to do furniture, wait till you need them. I work off the fence and router bit bearings.

Richard,
    I think that John wants the bushings to use the router handheld for building the router table. Bushings are a good accessory to have in the shop for routing dadoes, curves and shapes, etc. I sometimes use the bushings in my table as well for unique routs. For under 40 bucks, it's well worth the investment in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Interested in why you think you need the guide bushings right away? Are you going to do a lot of pattern work? If you are going to do furniture, wait till you need them. I work off the fence and router bit bearings.

Good guide bushings (sets) go on sale frequently.
    You can save up to half price on them if you shop around and are patient.
    I got mine from Hartville Hardware for about $20.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I stand by my comment. I've been making furniture for 40+ years, 26 or those professionally. I can still count on my 9 7/8 fingers how many times I use guide bushings in a year. I don't like working the math to locate a straight edge for working off bushings. I have a stepped fixture and quides off the base of the router. The fixture is cut with the first setup, and then the fixture locates on the mark after that. No setback distance from the mark. I use pattern bits for cutting to patterns. You will need the guide bushings someday, especially if you buy a dovetail fixture that uses them. I don't use them there either, I prefer the Keller fixtures that use pattern bits. So if on a budget, buy something else till you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heffernan View Post
    Richard,
    I think that John wants the bushings to use the router handheld for building the router table. Bushings are a good accessory to have in the shop for routing dadoes, curves and shapes, etc. I sometimes use the bushings in my table as well for unique routs. For under 40 bucks, it's well worth the investment in the long run.