Thread: Scissors Test/Review

Scissors Test/Review

Fiskars 9" dressmaker shears made in Finland $20
    VS
    Fiskars 9'' razor edge shears made in China $15

I think this is my first tool review ever and it includes a dressmaking tool! I guess I could always use a little ego puncturing.

I've been cutting thick paper patterns a lot. I have some 30 year old German scissors that are the best in our house. I sharpened them and they cut OK, but I'm not a pro sharpener. I worked in a blueprint shop once and we had huge scissors that would slice one layer of blueprint paper by just opening them half way and pushing. No squeezing of the handles needed. That has been a sign of a good pair of scissors for me.

Let me start by saying my grandfather was born in Finland and made knives. I want to own what maybe the last of the Fiskars made in Finland. I went to my local Walmart and they had the made in Finland model for $20 that everyone on Amazon liked. I grabbed it like it was an ancient gem that was a part of my heritage. The Made in China model looked well, better. This is my first scissor review, but thru all that plastic packaging China's blades looked 20% thicker. But Finland has the finer steel,right. I needed to test the cutting. I bought both.

First they both pushed thru paper like blueprint shears. I sliced off wavy and straight 1/8" strips with ease. Both China and Finland felt equal. Then I pushed thru paper at varying spots on the mating blades. Wait one caught ever so slightly. NO! it's Finland. After a few minutes more on paper I had a preference for the made in China shears.
    Next leather. No push cutting here just normal scissor action. Thick leather hands down China. Thin leather, China wins as well.

I love my Finish heritage and all but I feel a little let down. Maybe I'll feel good knowing there's no dressmaking tool in my shop.

It would be interesting to hear the long term review. I wonder how the China model will perform after a few years.

Steve

Some pretty awesome German made Bessey shears on sale for $9.50 at Harry Epstein Co. http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/Bes.../D860-225.html

The very best scissors are usually from Japan btw. http://www.amazon.com/Kai-5210-8-inc...s=kai+scissors

Interesting review. I wonder how the ones I buy at the Red Drum tackle store in Buxton, NC for $~1.50 a pop would fare.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

I have found that thinner material stresses the scissors capability more. For example, take the 3M window film that you apply to the windows to keep out the cold. Try pushing your scissors to cleanly cut the excess material - its like Saran wrap thickness and you must have a sharp clean edge to cut it without tearing the material.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...20,51222,10215

Andrew, thanks for the tool test.

I've found these to be the best low cost scissors I've come across.....Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    It would be interesting to hear the long term review. I wonder how the China model will perform after a few years.

Steve
    Both China and Finland have lifetime warranties. The difference was dramatic, especially on thick leather. With the Chinese shears I could shave off 1/64" edge trimmings on 1/8" thick leather. I don't see how the Finish shears would ever be as good for my use. The Chinese model would have to dull quickly to just equal the Finland made shears.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Your welcome Rod. Have you ever tried the push test with those?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Both China and Finland have lifetime warranties. The difference was dramatic, especially on thick leather. With the Chinese shears I could shave off 1/64" edge trimmings on 1/8" thick leather. I don't see how the Finish shears would ever be as good for my use. The Chinese model would have to dull quickly to just equal the Finland made shears.
    One caveat there–Country of Origin laws aren't all that strictly enforced in EU member states. The final assembly of those shears may have been in Finland but the blades could have come from anywhere and Fiskars isn't legally obligated to indicate this on their labeling. Felder does the same thing with it's Hammer line of machines that state "Made in Hall Austria". I'm pretty sure they don't have a foundry so the castings usually come from Poland.

The best I ever used were made in Germany by Dahle. I still have the pair I got 25+ years ago and they stay in my drawer. There is another pair that "others" can use if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post

Steve
    I just did the push test on paper with the Fiskars 9'' razor edge shears. They still work fine after nearly 7 years and no sharpening . The made in China $15 shears is the one I grab for precise cutting, even on heavy leather.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Thx for the update after all these years. I've since acquired a few Fiskars axes and a hatchet that were all made in Finland and love them. Nothing I'd rather use to split logs with.

I have a pair of these as well!! The only down side is they are/were VERY uncomfortable using (thumb and fingers ached after short use).
    I put some short pieces of silicone tubing on the handles--Much better.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Rod,
    I have those and really like them also. They cut very well!
    I sometimes think I have a weird disorder with scissors as I would bet I have 20+ pair in the shop. Small, large, curved, crochet scissors, Teflon coated non stick scissors...........just always need a pair of some type. The best buy I ever found was these big Gingher scissors I bought at at the big Labor Day flea market in Hillsville, VA. ~500K people on that weekend. Anyway, I got those for 2 pair for $25. I bought 4 pair and to this day have not needed to sharpen them. I can almost cut a 2x4 with those.😉

Jim