Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rusty 8" PM jointer - what should I offer?

Jim,

What did Grizzly say on a new 8" jointer? Regardless of what you do, I think you should get a quote from them so you have a point of reference.

To reply to an old thread, I went out when he said he had the old jointer running. It was about 15 degrees F. in his shop and we fired it up (a friend had rewired it for 220 volt) and it would barely spin. Sounded like it was still running at 110v. so I asked him if he got it wired correctly, how much was he figuring to sell it for. He said $1000, based on what a new Powermatic would cost. So I said it was probably out of my price range, didn't bear to tell him I was thinking more like $300. Besides the motor issue it had a bed tightening/lock screw stripped out. Later the next day he called and said he had heated up his shop and it ran fine, was wired correctly. So my guess is the motor has issues and would probably need replacing.

So I'm giving up on that one. More trouble than worth probably. I did ask Grizzly for a quote today on a G0490x but can't imagine I can afford the shipping. I'll report back when I hear that. There's always the lunch-box planer and a sled, though that can be so danged fiddly. /jd