Thread: First project - black walnut slab coffee table

First project - black walnut slab coffee table

Hi all,

Completed this project on St. Patty's Day after 6 months of working pretty much every weekend on it. More than anything, I wanted to thank all the folks on this forum for all of their guidance and advice throughout the process. This was my first-ever project, and most people advised against doing this as my intro to woodworking. Now that I'm done with it, I completely understand why! It was a heck of a steep learning curve, and by no means is it a display of fine and exacting craftsmanship - good thing you can't see the underside of the slab Either way, it was a blast to build after all is said and done. I've graduated down to box making in the meanwhile so I can start learning from where I was supposed to.

Credit to the original design here: http://www.custommade.com/claro-slab...rnalfurniture/

Cheers,
    Eugene

Eugene_Krimkevich-1.jpgEugene_Krimkevich-3.jpgEugene_Krimkevich-4.jpgEugene_Krimkevich-5.jpg

Hey Eugene,
    Nice table, you did a great job. Now don't for one second think that box making is easy, as a matter fact the small the item the more exact you need to be!

Eugene,

That is a great looking table. For a first project you hit the ground running... I like the design of the legs. I also like the butterfly's on supporting the cracks. What did you use for a finish?

Sam

The table looks great!

That looks great.

You are what they call a "natural," keep it up!

Nice looking project
    MARK

Hi Sam,

Thanks for kind words - the finish is Waterlox original.

Thanks Eugene,

I have never used Waterlox, I would like to give it a try some day. You sure did a good job.

Sam

Very nicely done! I think you handled that learning curve just fine!

Awesome and inspiring work! Such great detail and intricate work! The finish is excellent and its structure is exceptional. Simply gorgeous work!

I really like this piece. Aside from the fact it's your first ever, it's just a very well designed and executed project. I like how the slab seem to have just the right heft to give it a rustic appeal, but not so heavy as to look brutal. The understructure was very well done too. What was the joinery in the joints?

Hans
    "There is a crack in everything - that's how the light gets in"

Hi Hans - joinery was mortise and tenons to attach the stretchers to the legs. The two stretchers are joined together with a half lap joint.

Nice piece! Whether is was a first or twenty-fifth piece. Great shape on the natural slab.
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.