Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Coffee Table

Cherry Coffee Table

Hi all, just thought I'd share my most recent project, a cherry coffee table for my daughter.

Cherry wood was sitting in my grandpa's old antique shop, he cut the tree down 40 years ago, hopefully I made him proud with my use of it.

First project using my Festool Domino. Didn't take me long to stop debating on whether the cost was worth it or not. The ease of use and accuracy went beyond even the high expectations I had for the price, and I would say I still have a lot to learn about it's functions.

Also my first project using Waterlox Original, great stuff, I really like how it turned out.

Question though - I would apply three wipe on coats, then lightly sand, I kept getting scratches on the finish. I was using regular 320 grit sand paper, I also tried very fine steel wool on another part once I saw the scratches the sandpaper would make. What do you think I may have been doing wrong? Should I have been using wet/dry paper with mineral spirits?

Thanks for looking, your comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

034.jpg030.jpg031.jpg032.jpg

Very nice design and craftsmanship. Can't help with the scratches issue except to use 600 grit. Again a very beautiful table.
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

You don't need to sand Waterlox between coats. It will adhere to itself. One has to wait 30 days, depending on humidity and temp. befor rubbing out.
    Go to the Waterlox Web site and read up on their products.

I really like this. Great design and well done. Make sure it gets lots of sun!

Very nice. I like the design, the wood and the choice of finish.

Paul

I mean this as a compliment - when something isn't your style but looks really good and that's what I would say about it. At least in the pics, I'd give the finish a big thumbs up too.

Joey,

Your coffee table turned out really great. Your daughter will be really happy. I really like the figure in the top.

Sam

Very nice, but one slight criticism. the dovetails . . . . They look so machine made on a project that has a lot of excellent design features.

I like the table a lot, nice job !!
    MARK

Amazing work! The design is outstanding. Really nice work. I like the contrast in the wood color.

Awesome table.

I use Mirlon abrasive pads to apply Waterlox. Each time, use a finer pad.
    The finer pad reduces the scratch pattern of the last application.

No special dusting or air filtration protocols are necessary - I do it in my garage (with the windows open, Waterlox has a strong smell while it cures).

The Mirlon pads are not woven, so they don't leave any fiber on the newly applied surface.
    If you keep the pads in a ziploc plastic bag, they'll last a long time.

Really nice Joey, I especially like the legs, well done
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Thanks for the comments on the table and tips on managing the Waterlox, I will definitely give those a try.

Mark - I couldn't agree more on the dovetails, after I finished the table I bought my first dovetail saw, time to practice!

Blog Entries
    Hi Joey,

You've gotten some good advice here about the joinery and finishing details.

I wanted to add that the cherry is absolutely gorgeous! I also think building a table for your daughter out of your grandfather's lumber = family heirloom!I think there's nothing cooler than building furniture for your kids, and knowing that it was built from lumber from your grandfather just makes it that much better -- congrats!

When I build stuff for my kids, I like to add a little personal note with a sharpie on the wood in an inconspicuous spot, like the bottom of a drawer or tabletop. I would like to Think they will see it down the road when I'm long gone and be reminded how special I think they are.

All the best, Mike

I guarantee this will be in your family for generations.All the best, Mike

Mike, thanks for reminding, I really did mean to write a note underneath, I have to take it to her this weekend so I still have time.

I like it. Well done!