Thread: Workbench

Workbench

Not exactly the work of art many of you have posted pictures of, but pretty good for me and light-years ahead of anything else I've loosely called a workbench. Thanks for putting up with, and sincerely answering all my dumb questions along the way. Top is 3 1/4" hard maple. Thanks again for all your help.

Darn, it appears the pics will load sideways. I tried rotating them first and they still load this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks pretty awesome from where I sit.

Steve

Dave,

Looks a lot like mine and I really like the adjust-a-bench base. My top is also 3.25", 36x84. With the vises it was a bit heavy to lift. Then I found Eric Brown's post on adding some Vulcan constant-force linear springs to mostly counterbalance the weight of the top and vises. I've done this to my workbench as well and now I've set it so its about 25# to lift with an empty bench. By choosing the number of springs you install, you control that. Just a thought!

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed, I really like the adjustable base. I'm 6'4" tall so that would come in real handy for me too. More motivation to keep pushing on my bench project.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

That looks great Dave! Wish it was sitting in my shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    Darn, it appears the pics will load sideways. I tried rotating them first and they still load this way.
    My pictures loaded the same thing yesterday; it's the site, not you.

Nice looking job Dave. Can you say who makes the adjustable leg system? Is it as solid as a more traditional design?

ian
    Last edited by ian maybury; 03-19-2013 at 6:32 AM.

Thanks guys. I'll definitely look into those Vulcan constant-force linear springs, it is pretty heavy, even with nothing on it. And Ian, the leg set is made by Geoffrey Nodin, it called a Nodin Adjust-a-bench. They're pretty awesome in my estimation, and it's amazing how well the caster set works. It's one of the heavier items in my shop and it rolls effortlessly. That's the only style they come in, check out the website to see videos of it in action.

Looks like a work of art to me! Great bench!

Dave, don't be so shy . Your bench is awesome! How easy is it to adjust the height and do you think you'll be adjusting it often for different functions?

Great looking bench. My bench also has the Adjust-a-bench legs and I love it! I change the height all the time to match what I'm working on and can work alot longer due to the reduced stress on my back. My bench is also very stable, the same as a traditional base. I too will be looking into the Vulcan constant-force linear springs.