Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Spectrum Hobby Laser 5th Gen review

Bert, I've read your story and it does scare me. I can't speak to your experience as I haven't heard both sides but it certainly seems you've been shafted. What you say they did in terms of making you sign a muzzle contract in order to get support seems crazy, but you certainly aren't the first to say this so I'm inclined to believe it.

I've had this experience before with other companies selling tech to hobby market folks at lower prices and with horrible customer service because they were focused on industrial level machines with paid support contracts and had never needed to have customer service on a level that someone in the hobby market would expect when paying many thousands for a machine. It's a market perspective thing. In the end I had to weigh the numbers both monetarily and with numbers sold vs. numbers of complaints I've found.

That said, I'm with you. I fully expect a warranty to be kept and without a forced muzzle. Though, If my tube goes out in 200 hours and after my initial warranty is up, I won't be surprised as they make no guarantee on it. They simply state what their supplier rates it for. I didn't purchase an extended warranty or a premium support package. The warranty on their website is very clear and pretty limited. So to sum up, I know what I'm getting into and don't have unrealistic expectations. It's somewhere around a $1000 gamble I'm willing to take as I didn't have that extra $1000 at the time to purchase from anyone else with a more solid coverage on their warranty for consumables. If I have to buy 3 tubes I'm still coming out ahead monetarily speaking.

I learned a big lesson with DJI Innovations last year. I'll spare the LONG story but ... They didn't take kindly to my threats of spreading every fact of what had gone wrong with my purchase and how they'd treated me over many months of trying to get my issues fixed, so I swallowed my pride, worked my way up the chain of command nicely and politely and in the end came out way ahead in product and support. Honey vs. Vinegar. I'm not saying you are wrong or right as again I don't know both sides. I sure hope I don't end up in your situation, but lets just say I won't be surprised if I do. Thanks for putting your story up as a caution to others.

Loren, and others.

It looks like you have had this laser for over a year now. I am wondering what your experience has been over that time. Thanks for taking the time to do the write up both here and on your website.

(I understand this is an old thread and may no longer be monitored but I thought it was worth a shot asking).

I've had my 5th gen FSL laser since last May, and I'm very happy with it so far. No problems, they've answered my phone calls/emails quickly. I do wish, though, that their forum updates were handled in a timely fashion.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gabry View Post
    I've had my 5th gen FSL laser since last May, and I'm very happy with it so far. No problems, they've answered my phone calls/emails quickly. I do wish, though, that their forum updates were handled in a timely fashion.
    Dave
    Dave,

The forum won't allow me to post a link here. But if you (or anyone with a FSL laser) want to PM me I will send you a link to a private owned forum just for FSL users. The forum is live so no waiting for your posts to be approved. Lots of great people there, very smart...
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

I was/am in the process of building the 2.x buildlog laser and now having second thoughts. I am now going to be involved in another project and now thinking of just buying a laser. What interests me about the Full Spectrum Gen 5 is the software and the price... its more in the range a hobbyist can afford.
    The software looks to be first rate, not China sourced and hard to use. I'd like to hear from the FSL Gen 5 owners who are using the machine. The Earl Grey reference above goes to a non active website.

As far has having a tube go out and then later on the PSU for the tube go bad, I can fix that. Tubes can be purchased and so can quality power supplies.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 03-18-2014 at 9:56 AM. Reason: want ad
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Loren blog didn't work, please send thanks Harold

Hi Bill,

Want do you intend to do with it? It is a good laser for hobbyists and can be used commercially, but it is not without its limits and idiosyncrasies.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Hi Bill,

Want do you intend to do with it? It is a good laser for hobbyists and can be used commercially, but it is not without its limits and idiosyncrasies.
    Engraving on wood, some plastics, stone and glass, maybe other things. Not going to be used for commercial everyday, but could if I decide on something. Pretty much did my research, so I know the limitations of a smaller less than 45 watt machine. Yes I have CNC experience and design work using Corel draw and other related.

Well all I'm gonna say is for less money you can have one of Automation Technology's 50 or 60 watt machines, and there a sponsor here at SMC
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Well all I'm gonna say is for less money you can have one of Automation Technology's 50 or 60 watt machines, and there a sponsor here at SMC
    +1 on that I have one of their 60 watt machines and I am very happy with it.

Keeping all my options open, not sure what AT software is like but they answer emails right away.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    +1 on that I have one of their 60 watt machines and I am very happy with it.
    Jerome,

You should do a review on their machines... I have seen very little (any?) posted on quality, speed, etc. If we're going to recommend them, we should know what the high points are.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

They look very much like re-branded Weikes Dan

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Bill, The FS software is one of the PROS of this machine. Tubes and power supplies will go out, but with your background and experience you will have no problems when that happens. It will be able to do all of the things that you mentioned.

Automation Technology is a good option too, although it does not look like you can get a 50-60W CO2 laser for less -- especially if you consider shipping. They do appear to be Weike machines, but supported by AT which is in Chicago. The company is well-respected.

To be honest Bill I'd go with the AT system.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !