Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full Spectrum Hobby Laser 5th Gen review

Full Spectrum Hobby Laser 5th Gen review

I've read all the negative coverage on this forum of FSL, so I thought I'd offer up my experience with them so far to give a little balance. I neither represent FSL or have any ties to them, so please spare the bad mouthing for another thread.

I did all the research here and elsewhere, and given my budget of both money and time, settled on the FSL 20x12 5th gen. I didn't have the time to deal with all that is involved in importing from China/ebay or building a Buildlog 2.x, and I had enough in my budget to pay for decent software and reasonably local support. Can't afford Epilog/Universal/Trotec... someday maybe. So that left FSL/Hurricane etc. Given all the bad press on this forum and others it was a difficult decision. But I just couldn't find anything else that made sense in my price range. I hate their heavily moderated forum and their censorship of bad press. But, given my many experiences with the vocal minority on other forums and other large purchases like this (DJI multirotors for example on RCGroups)... I decided to take temper the negative press with the thousands they've sold with no complaints and the plunge to find out for myself.

I first saw FSL due to their kickstarter campaign, but didn't purchase one until early Feb this year. The lead time was 4 weeks until I got the call to come pick it up in Vegas. I live just south of Salt Lake City so I figured I'd spare myself the risk of the laser being damaged in shipping and drive 5.5 hours to pick it up myself. They were very accommodating and set up a time with me when someone would be available to give me a quick tour and a demo of the laser. The warehouse wasn't the neatest place I've ever seen and their assembly line sure wasn't how I'd do it, but after talking to a couple of the engineers and assembly people and getting a good demo, I was at least comforted that they were putting together a decent machine that was tested and well made. There was no shadiness or hiding of anything, they let me walk into their warehouse and talk to anyone and see the whole setup. That surprised me. After all of my questions were answered they loaded it into my car and home I went.

But to summarize... I have had to contact support once regarding a question about the beam combiner. My email was answered in 40 minutes, my phone call the following morning. Given this isn't a "my laser doesn't work" and/or "this is broken" type call, so I have yet to see how that will be handled, but so far so good. For a product that is labeled as "hobby" and not a professional level of price or product, this is about the level of support I'd expect. There are a few other very minor glitchy issues but nothing major and nothing that's stopped me from using the laser how I see fit.

Again, if you've had a bad experience with them, I'm sorry. I can see with their lack of internal organization how things could go bad quickly, and they certainly aren't the most customer support oriented organization in the world. Big picture wise I can now see how they operate. I'll keep this thread updated with any further support experiences.

As for the laser... It works well and works as expected. The software is much better than I anticipated and works well in Parallels running Win 7 on a Mac and printing from Adobe Illustrator. I've yet to ramp up to mass production of anything but am impressed so far. I'm a laser newb and am learning as I go, so again, I'll update this thread with any future issues. Thanks for your consideration.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-18-2013 at 6:16 AM. Reason: Removed link to Blog

It's always good to hear other 'sides of the story' so to say. I would hope that after all the negative press that FS has gotten that they would change their ways and maybe they have and this is a sign of things to come. It will be interesting to hear what happens is you have any major issues, so please do keep us informed. Thanks.
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Blog Entries
    Good luck with it...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Loren. I have noticed that there are a number of laser engravers who have joined the site and are going for a less expensive machine, as you say, not everyone can afford the brand names. As more and more of the group are experimenting into lesser known makes, I'm sure your positive report will encourage others to do the same. Not all of the reports published are negative with the Chinese machines, I think the tendency is to over emphasis the ease of use with the more expensive machines and there are a few here that already have great praise for them. The fact is you pay for what you get. If you are limited to smaller budget, sometimes you have to work a little harder in learning just what makes your machine do it's thing, with brand names like Epilog, Universal, Trotec, you just put your piece in, set the depth. power, speed and dpi and you will probably get a perfect job straight away. Most of these also have excellent instructional information available in all languages and many examples/forums and backup for any breakdowns. You pay for what you get. The laser beam itself, probably pretty much the same, it's just how it is applied. Good report.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Blog Entries
    Frank,

I believe the comments were intended more for FSL in particular rather than Chinese machines in general. FSL has acquired quite the bad rap with many here due to... well, for many reasons pointed out in other posts. Over the last couple of years us old guys have seen remarkable improvements in the Chinese machines, so only the real codgers still grumble about them as a whole. Loren is posting what I've seen many times, and that's a great initial dealing with FSL... whether or not that continues to hold for him (her? sorry, Loren, I can't tell from your name) when it comes time for support only time will tell.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Loren

Thanks for taking the time to post it is clear you put a lot of taught into it and I for one love to see the process people go through as they make there decision
    good luck with your machine

Just out of curiosity... why aren't links to blogs allowed? I see my link was removed. I just didn't want to have to repost all of that here so I figured a link would be best. The blog has much more detail and would be of help to anyone else thinking of going with FSL.

Loren

SMC is a family forum and by permitting links to blogs we risk linking to something that we do not approve or to content that is not in keeping with the standards of SMC. This is not to imply that there is anything wrong with your blog but you can understand our concerns.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Gotcha thanks. Would it be okay just to mention the name not in a hard link so others might find it? The information is pertinent and educational for other users. If not I understand. I'll just have to repost it all here.

Loren,

As someone who has had a FSL 40w hobby for over a year now with no problems and who has contacted tech support twice (software installation questions) and had immediate response from them I would love to read your blog.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Loren

I think that would be ok.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Loren, you can also request anyone to PM you for the link.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Great. Thanks guys. The blog is at "EarlGreyHot . org" Bonus points if you get the geek reference. I've been posting my experience there with software setup, first few cuts and there is a material database starting up as well which I wish I could find online from other users so we could pool info on what works and what doesn't.
    Last edited by loren cox; 03-19-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Hey I really hope they take care of you to. I had your exact same experience, drove to the shop talked with everybody very nice very friendly. Had minor problems called emailed everything just fine. Then the tube burns out in less then 100 hrs and the crap hit the fan with them. nothing but trouble ever since, now no power supply and they don't know me anymore. I have a $2300 dollar Boat anchor and no way of getting it fixed. As fas as I'm concerned they stole my money and are liars and thieves. They will never make it right with me as they have already showed that. Trying to intimidate me by making me sign a contract with them saying I won't say anything bad about them. Well I would say anything bad if they would just Honor their warranty and give me a power supply so I can get may $2350 laser working again. If I have to buy another laser from someone else I'm going to make a youtube video and blow up this Full Spectrum Laser. I will contact local tv to cover it also. That all being said maybe they will treat you right. Lets all hope so.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Loren,

Went to your blog. EXCELLENT WORK.... Great detail, pictures, etc.... I just added a new MAC 27" to my arsenal and running parallels of course... So I was pretty excited to see how you got yours working. I have an older machine so I am unable to do any network connectivity right now, but that's fine.. My machine is only a few steps away from my desk... I look forward to watching and reading your progress.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.