Thread: SCORE - Tool Gloat - Grizzly G1023SL

SCORE - Tool Gloat - Grizzly G1023SL

I've been looking to replace my cheap, delta bench saw for quite some time. Each time I found a viable candidate via Craigslist I was beaten to the punch. So I then settled to buying new and had my heart set on the Grizzly G0715P Hybrid. The 3 HP variants were just too expensive for my occasional hobbyist use. But then I found out about a used Grizzly G1023SL. It took about a week to get a hold of the gentlemen selling the saw and determine if it was worth the 80 mile drive. Well, I think it was! He told me that the saw came with all the original accessories as well as a mobile base for $600. He is planning on moving and doesn't want to try and move the saw. So today I made the trip to take a look and got an even better deal than I hoped for!

So here is the saw all taken apart, ready for a cleaning in my garage.

2013_03_16_IC8P1182_Web.jpg

The top needs a little work. Feel free to give me some advice on the best way to clean it up. I used some mineral spirits and a scotch brite pad, but there are still some spots. This is a before pic.

2013_03_16_IC8P1183_Web.jpg

As it turns out, the saw didn't have all the original accessories. He didn't have the original miter gauge. Instead I got these!

2013_03_16_IC8P1185_Web.jpg

2013_03_16_IC8P1187_Web.jpg

And he had a bunch of throat plates already made up and a couple of push sticks.

2013_03_16_IC8P1188_Web.jpg

While taking apart the saw I noticed the blade wasn't the original blade. Instead it was this!

2013_03_16_IC8P1190_Web.jpg

I also asked him about a dado set he was selling. Originally he told me it was a 6" so I wasn't really interested as I intend to use a sled and don't want to be too limited in depth. But while I was there I figured I would check it out. Turns out it was an 8"! I asked him how much he wanted for it, $25!!!

2013_03_16_IC8P1194_Web.jpg

So here she is after getting a little cleaning and some alignment.

2013_03_16_IC8P1193_Web.jpg

Needless to say I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase! Now to get my 220V line installed so I can use it!

I'd say you did quite well for yourself! Congratulations on the great saw buy!

You did very well Mike. Good for you.

I finally got my new G1023RLWX set up, hooked to the dust collector, and used it for the first time today. What a wonderful difference between these saws and the contractor's saws. No comparison. You are going to love that saw!

Don't forget to report back after you make your first cuts!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

It looks like you got a really good deal with the extras. I think you will really like the cabinet saw upgrade.

YOU SUCK!!! Seriously though you did quite well with all the extras. Congrats

Good score!

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

That's an awesome deal!

For the rust I'd pull out some 150 grit sand paper along with WD-40 or mineral spirits. Phosphoric acid works well too, if you really want to get aggressive, but you'll need gloves and it smells bad. Follow up with finer grits of sandpaper until it shines how you want it to....then a light coat of Boeshield T-9 buffed out, and a coat of paste wax.

Congrats!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks everyone! I'm still pretty excited! Can't wait to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    That's an awesome deal!

For the rust I'd pull out some 150 grit sand paper along with WD-40 or mineral spirits. Phosphoric acid works well too, if you really want to get aggressive, but you'll need gloves and it smells bad. Follow up with finer grits of sandpaper until it shines how you want it to....then a light coat of Boeshield T-9 buffed out, and a coat of paste wax.

Congrats!
    Thanks Scott! I will definitely be tackling the table top a little more to get it to my liking. I'll be picking up some T-9 and paste wax for sure!

Yeah, yeah...whatever...you suck...(waaaaaaaaah!)

You're going to wonder pretty quickly why you didn't do this a whole lot sooner when you start using it. Worlds away from those old contractor saws.

Congrats, great deal.

For the cleanup on the table.....I have had great luck using those stiff sponges with the abrasive glued on. They come in several grits, and I just use them dry to clean up my tools. Use the finest grit that will do the job. You can rinse them out with water when they get full of rust. Make sure to dry them before using again.

Rockler has them, and I think HD does too. They are real cheap at HF, but they look like seconds, with blobs of abrasive in some spots, which would cause scratches.

Rick Potter