Thread: Engraving on an Egg...

Engraving on an Egg...

Well, after reading a little about the subject here yesterday, I looked around and saw the Egg-Bot device (very clever by the way, and inexpensive) but didn't see much about using a laser. I saw where people were using hand engravers, the high speed pencil tip style, but no lasers...
    So, I cracked open a couple eggs, plopped them down on the table and tried to do little stars and circles as a test pattern....
    Holey Moley!! They friggen stink! I think I now know why lasers are not used for this.. I was trying to cut all the way thru, but the first few attempts with my chinese 40Watt tube at about 15% power did leave engraved lines....Then moved up to about 30% and did make cuts, but had to push the resultant shapes thru with my finger. That's about when I gave up because of the smell....

looks like I will be building one of Dan's filters if I am going to do any more of this!
    rj

They do stink and if I remember right from when I tried when I was able to cut all the way through the area around the cut was very prone to crumble. Also to get the egg out of the shell I drilled an 1/8 inch hole, stuck a bent wire attached to a drill into the hole and scrambled the egg then use a ball inflater attached to my air compressor to blow the egg out through the hole then attached the ball inflator to a water hose to wash the eggs out. I was never able to get an egg that turned out after lasering it though.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

Tried chicken eggs a while back.

The extraction system took care of the smell OK.

Paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW that's neat. My mother-in-law raises chickens as a side project. We have a great relationship and she has a warped sense of humor like I do. I think I'm going to make a series of eggs that look badly hand written (think the cows form chick fil-a) asking for more food and better living conditions or they are going to stop laying eggs and plant them randomly around the hen house next time I visit. Hummmm.... might need to set up a hidden camera as well.... lmao!
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

Here's an egg I engraved last Sunday: http://instagram.com/p/XiiffmqNB9/
    It definitely smelled a little funny...
    Trotec Speedy 300, 75W

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Langhans View Post
    WOW that's neat. My mother-in-law raises chickens as a side project. We have a great relationship and she has a warped sense of humor like I do. I think I'm going to make a series of eggs that look badly hand written (think the cows form chick fil-a) asking for more food and better living conditions or they are going to stop laying eggs and plant them randomly around the hen house next time I visit. Hummmm.... might need to set up a hidden camera as well.... lmao!
    ROFL I like the way you think sir!

and I was about to say "you'd never catch a guy with a Trotec doing eggs".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    ROFL I like the way you think sir!
    Thanks! Inside my head is one interesting place to say the least
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

We did Ostrich eggs for a company in Solvang, Ca. but did they smell, the stink was so bad we moved the laser outside to do the order then never did any more.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)