Thread: Used Grizzly G1023SL - Is this a good deal?

Used Grizzly G1023SL - Is this a good deal?

I have been wanting a new table saw for quite some time. I’ve missed out on several nice Delta contractor style saws on Craigslist and had pretty much decided to buy a new Grizzly G0715P once I had some additional funds. But then it happened! I found a used 3HP Grizzly G1023SL that I am planning on purchasing this weekend. The saw appears to be in great shape based on the pictures, just a little dirty (or dusty as it should be!). It is a left tilt model and has all the paperwork and accessories that came with the saw. It also comes with a mobile base (best I can tell it is the Shop Fox model). Priced at $600 which seems like a great deal to me! It doesn’t have a riving knife, but I can add a **** or DIY version later. Here are a couple of pics from the seller.

So am I right, or am I nuts? Is this a good deal?

Thanks,

Mike

It seems like a decent deal to me especially with the long rails and extension table. I would check it out real good and watch it run before I bought it.

where's the left extension wing? does it come with it's splitter and blade guard? a **** riving knife set up will set you back $125 - $160, plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Fleck View Post
    It seems like a decent deal to me especially with the long rails and extension table. I would check it out real good and watch it run before I bought it.
    This one has the shorter rails, roughly 26" of rip capacity. But I plan to make a few cuts before purchasing it and look over everything thoroughly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    where's the left extension wing? does it come with it's splitter and blade guard? a **** riving knife set up will set you back $125 - $160, plus shipping.
    The left wing is attached. The motor cover is on the left side so it kind of looks like it is not there, but it is. Original blade guard and splitter are there as well.

I've had the identical Shop Fox version since 2004. It's a good saw for the money. I had a Powermatic 66 for years and the 1023 performs the same. I used the 66 in a commercial shop and had to replace USA made motors twice in 10 years. My Asian 1023 has been used about 1/3 as many hours as the 66, but no repairs or new motors needed yet.
    I've never used a riving knife or ever felt the need for one for the way I work.

Nice deal IMO. You can slide the front rail tube over to the right for more rip capacity (36"). That saw will also accommodate the B.O.R.K riving knife if you want one.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I've had the identical Shop Fox version since 2004. It's a good saw for the money. I had a Powermatic 66 for years and the 1023 performs the same. I used the 66 in a commercial shop and had to replace USA made motors twice in 10 years. My Asian 1023 has been used about 1/3 as many hours as the 66, but no repairs or new motors needed yet.
    I've never used a riving knife or ever felt the need for one for the way I work.
    Thanks Andrew! I've not used a saw with a riving knife before either. I used a Unisaw for several years at work and I have a CHEAP Delta now. I think it would be nice to have one, but not a necessity!
    Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Nice deal IMO. You can slide the front rail tube over to the right for more rip capacity (36"). That saw will also accommodate the B.O.R.K riving knife if you want one.
    Scott, that will be one of the first things I do is move the rail over. Then I plan to add an outfeed table and an extension table in the open space between the rails on the right.

I'd look at the Shark Guard unless the **** has been totally redesigned. Last pics I saw of it it attached with hose clamps. There was also an old thread somewhere about someone who accidentally dropped something on top of theirs. Due to the design it rotated down into the spinning blade and was ejected from the saw. I used to have a Shark Guard and the engineering is much better than the pics I've seen of the ****. Its not a riving knife, but a poorly designed riving knife is not a benefit.

Looks like a prize to me.

I've had that 1023SL model for years and that looks like a decent deal, providing she runs well. if it does, pack it up, take it home and be happy.

here's looking forward to your posting some post purchase pics.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Looks like a prize to me.
    Thanks Johnny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    I've had that 1023SL model for years and that looks like a decent deal, providing she runs well. if it does, pack it up, take it home and be happy.
    Thanks for your input Don!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    here's looking forward to your posting some post purchase pics.
    Will do!

Definitely looks like a good buy to me!

Well, i bought it! And I think it turned out to be quite a steal! Got it home a few hours ago. Just got done with cleaning up the saw a little and aligning everything. I will start a new thread with some pics a little later. Thanks to everyone for your advice!