Thread: New Cool Epilog video

San Jose, Ca soon to be Mariposa, CA "Gateway to Yosemite"
    Blog Entries

New Cool Epilog video

Watch this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yEGIxOStVNs

I want to do this. Anyone have an idea of the speed and power settings you might use?

Ron
    [/SIGPIC] Epilog Mini 24 - 45 watt, 3 Melco Amaya's with DesignShop, Roland PC-600 Printer/Plotter, Roland Camm-1 and 1050 plotter and a 6 color 4 station screen printing press. CorelDraw X3,X4 and X5 plus PhotoGrav 3.0

Blog Entries
    It's darkening paper, nothing special... 100% speed and very low power, possibly a bit out of focus.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have done this on a canvas material in the past.. U would convert it like u would any photo.. I am almost positive Dan is right. and if its not dark enough the first time just hit go again.. Nothing wrong with a second pass were u configure the power and settings to get it just right...
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

It looks more like canvas to me, at any rate there are so many things you can do. Isn't life fun! I am new on this forum, and I just have to say I can not believe how helpful you all are to each other---nothing short of awesome.

We used heavy brown craft paper and made gift wrap from the kids at Christmas.

Worked out great.

Vicki

This may be of interest to others...

A small group of us have been experimenting with different materials and software (GCode based) for reproducing 8 bit greyscale images.
    These were recently laser produced on artist’s canvas by two of the members and posted on our forum.

Paul.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paul,
    These are great but how to you make the file laser friendly?? A non-gcode laser.

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

I am not sure exactly how you would go about doing this with any particular, proprietary, laser machine (our machines are home constructed).

Basically an 8 bit image comprises of pixels with a value between 0 and 255.

The two different methods currently being used are…

1. Varying laser power intensity according to pixel value whilst maintaining a constant raster feed-rate.
    2. Using a constant laser power density and varying the raster feed-rate according to the pixel value.

Both methods have produced similar results.

The material being used has to be able to accept ‘shades of grey’ and before the artist’s canvas was tried the previous work was mainly with wood (the cheap, paint backed mirrors have also been shown to work well when reverse engraved although we are not all agreed as to exactly just why it works yet).

Paul.

Hi Paul,
    I thought as much.

Thanks
    Vicki

I just tried this with a piece of scrap canvas and it came out pretty good. I used 100 speed and 30 power on my Helix.
    canvas test1.jpg
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

her name is Dana Tran

12. Watch the video again. After the girl removes the frame from the laser. The right side wood frame close to the top is burned / charred pretty good.