Thread: cherry+ARMRSEAL=blotch? (Charles Neil to the rescue?)

cherry+ARMRSEAL=blotch? (Charles Neil to the rescue?)

Hey all, I'm about to start finishing my first major project using cherry (entry table). I think cherry looks great as is, and just plan to add a few coats of wiped on semigloss ARM-R-SEAL. I've read lots of warnings about blotching with cherry, but this mainly seems to apply to staining, which I don't plan to do. Do I need to worry about blotch with my simple plan? I've also read great things about Charles Neil's conditioner for blotch control. Would you recommend this as an initial step? Thanks for the input!z

Brad,
    I've used Blotch Control on two cherry mirrors. I sprayed it on and followed the directions. I used General Finishes' Enduro Var for the top coat. Any blotching was minimal. Blotch Control is very easy to use. The cherry is aging as it normally would.
    Tom

Brad , any oil or solvent will somewhat blotch cherry, its a reaction with the solvents more than the oil/solvent actually adding color.What happens is the oil migrates into the softer parts of the grain and thus they become darker.Usually once the oil fully cures and the cherry darkens the blotch look goes away.
    Our prestain, should yield you no blotching.

To save you some $ on my product, try this , may sounds totally nuts but try it on some scrap and let us know if I am crazy or not .

wipe the wood with a wet cloth then wipe it off, then immediately wipe a coat of oil on and let it dry . I know , I know , shouldn't work right , try it , seems to really help with oils and blotching .

What happens is the water prevents wood from soaking up a bunch of oil really fast, so the oil basically lays on top of the water and as the water evaporates it lays down , much like a thin sprayed coat of finish would do, then it seals the softer grain from absorbing alot of oil on subsequent coats. Totally nuts right,. oil over water, test it , doesn't kill all the blotch but sure makes a big difference. And we have tested and adhesion hasnt shown to be an issue, the water evaporates off much faster than the oil dries.