Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G1023 Owners...Did You Remove The Blade Dust Collector Chute?

Grizzly G1023 Owners...Did You Remove The Blade Dust Collector Chute?

Hi,

I am still in the process of getting my new G1023RLWX set up and ready to go. Actually the saw IS ready to go, but I still have to modify my dust collector piping, to accommodate the new saw and the new 8" jointer, among other small details that take time.

The dust collection on this saw will be so much better than the old Craftsman Contractors saw I was using (for 30 years). But I read at least one person was not happy with the blade shroud and claimed that it clogged up and was a pain, so he removed it.

So I was wondering, what is your experience with it? I guess I will let it in place and see how it performs before doing anything, unless the consensus here is to jerk it out now.

What are you guys' experiences? (Could my Pittsburgh vernacular be showing?)

Thanks for any comments!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

My 1023 RLX hasn't had any clogging issues. I use the DC for every cut and it hasn't been able to build up anywhere i can see. Maybe their DC was underpowered? Time will tell though, once the nooks and crannies start filling in, it might clog later. but so far so good.

When the blade is high, the chute is straight; no problem. When the blade is low, the chute has a tight bend; problem. Hadn't thought of removing the chute. Might be a good idea. The main problem is that the chute is only 1.5 inches diameter, so is too easily clogged.

The dust collection on my 1023RL works very well, every time I have removed the blade insert the chute has been perfectly clean. I have it hooked to a 2hp Grizzly collector.

Mine doesn't clog as long as I turn the DC on.

Small dust chips shouldn't clog a chute.....I'd think it'd take more of the long thin shards, which should be less of an issue if you use a ZCI. Am I wrong on this?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

+1 on Scott's comments ... have had a Grizzly 1023RL for a year and use dust collector all the time with the TS. Slivers of wood that are > couple of inches long can get hung up in the small dia shroud dust tubing. Then that'll make a beaver dam obstruction that could cause build up of other dust chips. I don't use a ZCI (yet) and have had one instance of a thin strip of wood slip down through my standard TS insert and lodge itself in my shroud tube. Disconnected one end of the tube, stretched and straightened the tube, and sucked the wood strip out with dust collector suction. Last thought ... I enlarged my TS dust outlet but wanted to retain the blade shroud and tube so made my larger outlet per following pics to get 1) increased TS outlet dust hole and 2) retain blade shroud collection.

Keep the blade dust shroud.

Tom

I know this is an old thread, but Tom's idea seems to be what is needed on my saw. I opened up the doors the other day to have a peek inside. I was AMAZED the build up of dust (piles), especially since I'm a casual user. Anyone else looked under the hood lately?

I've never considered dust piled inside the cabinet a problem. The idea is to keep the dust contained and out of the environment. Anything that ends up inside the cabinet is just as well contained as what ends up in the DC.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I've never considered dust piled inside the cabinet a problem. The idea is to keep the dust contained and out of the environment. Anything that ends up inside the cabinet is just as well contained as what ends up in the DC.
    I agree, don't worry what is inside the cabinet. I just wish my older G1023 had the dust chute. Wonder if one can be purchased?
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I agree, don't worry what is inside the cabinet. I just wish my older G1023 had the dust chute. Wonder if one can be purchased?

Hmm, that makes 2 of us, Ole!

PS. The dust chute is only about $8 from Griz. Wonder if I can retrofit it? Uh oh, I see another project coming!
    Last edited by Duane Meadows; 04-17-2014 at 1:00 PM.

If you remove the shroud, the sawdust stream will not be directed correctly and collection will suffer.
    Howie.........

I agree with your comments. However, I thought the dust chute would provide better dust removal.

Has anyone tried to attach one of these shrouds to a unisaw? My '04 uni could use one.

I am pretty sure it won't work. I tried to make a shroud for my 1970 Uni(right tilt) before selling it and getting a G1023RL. The Uni cabinet is very tight. You have to keep the blade shroud up close to the bottom of the blade if you want the full range of tilt to 45*. There is not enough room to come straight out the back of the shroud(normal flow for the dust). I tried to come off the back right of the blade and it did not work. The Grzzly shroud gains some room by dropping down a little. Below is a picture of the Uni with the shroud I tried to attach(with a 4" hose because a 2.5" didn't suck enough) and the one from the Grizzly(2.5" hose). If you have a left tilt Uni then all bets are off. The trunnions are different in design so I am guessing it still wouldn't work. Maybe you can tell from the pictures. Hope this Helps.